correct power steering pump

It appears to be leaking badly.

If it is leaking from the input shaft, it is toast. I think there is still a re-seal kit available
for the pump housing. It is a reasonably simple matter to change the housing seals. The FSM explains in detail how to do it, might save you some money to go that route.

Dave

Is Federal the same "Federal" in Federal-Mogul?

I do not know for sure, but a company Called Federal Pump Corporation did make a wide variety of industrial pumps at that time, so they might have been the manufacturer. I do not recall Federal Mogul being in the business of power steering pumps.

Dave

If it is leaking from the input shaft, it is toast. I think there is still a re-seal kit available
for the pump housing. It is a reasonably simple matter to change the housing seals. The FSM explains in detail how to do it, might save you some money to go that route.

Dave
I’m pretty sure that’s where it’s leaking. So I’ll probably just buy a refurbished one. I have to rebuild my wiper motor as it is.

So anyone know where else to get a Lares Federal rebuilt pump? I really don’t want to pay the ridiculous $500 core charge at Rock Auto. And I’m pretty sure it’s a piece of junk Cardone that’s in the car, so I certainly don’t want one of those. I might be stuck paying the core charge.

So anyone know where else to get a Lares Federal rebuilt pump? I really don’t want to pay the ridiculous $500 core charge at Rock Auto. And I’m pretty sure it’s a piece of junk Cardone that’s in the car, so I certainly don’t want one of those. I might be stuck paying the core charge.
You might try calling Lares direct. I have bought other parts direct and had them rebuild steering gears for me.
If Rock auto charges the $500 core, I'll bet that's directly passed on from Lares.
I did it this way through Rock Auto, changed my pump and had my money back within a couple weeks. Honestly, the process was straight forward. Rock Auto ships fast and they made it easy to return the core.
I had the same issues that you have - pump worked fine but leaking badly. For the $35 rebuilt pump it was worth it to just get a plug-n-play pump because I couldn't afford any downtime. If I had time to fiddle with rebuilding, I would have gone that route even though it would cost more in time.

Be sure you have the correct size pulley puller, in either case you'll have to remove and reinstall it. To reinstall, you just need a 3/8" bolt, nut, and washer.

You might try calling Lares direct. I have bought other parts direct and had them rebuild steering gears for me.
If Rock auto charges the $500 core, I'll bet that's directly passed on from Lares.
I did it this way through Rock Auto, changed my pump and had my money back within a couple weeks. Honestly, the process was straight forward. Rock Auto ships fast and they made it easy to return the core.
That's good to know about Rock Auto and the money return. I'll need to make sure I have the right pulled puller.

Back