correct power steering pump

70Tom

Reaction score
So the parts manual lists 2 possible power steering oil pumps for a 70 SF/Fury that's not a 318 or 360 (71). First is 2891196 w/ key slotted pump shaft. The other is 3004799 w/ 3/3" threaded hole pump shaft.

Anyone know which is correct for a car with a 440? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of a correct assembly is anyone has one.

Thanks

Sounds like the same scenario as my Chrysler. The threaded shaft is the Saginaw Pump and the press-on pulley is the Federal Pump.
What did your car originally come with? I believe the brackets are different for each pump, so if you have the original brackets, that might lend a clue.

Ugh. This sounds like it could be difficult. Not sure what my car came with, as the engine isn't original to the car. Plus, the engine is from a '69, not a '70, so not sure how much difference there would be.

Federal pump:

IMG_1658.JPG

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

So the parts manual lists 2 possible power steering oil pumps for a 70 SF/Fury that's not a 318 or 360 (71). First is 2891196 w/ key slotted pump shaft. The other is 3004799 w/ 3/3" threaded hole pump shaft.

Anyone know which is correct for a car with a 440? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of a correct assembly is anyone has one.

Thanks

I have two 440 Sport Furys, one has the Saginaw pump, the other has a Federal pump and both have A/C. I think either is correct, probably it was a matter of what the assembly line had in stock to put on. The Saginaw pump is a better pump for whatever that is worth.

Dave

I have two 440 Sport Furys, one has the Saginaw pump, the other has a Federal pump and both have A/C. I think either is correct, probably it was a matter of what the assembly line had in stock to put on. The Saginaw pump is a better pump for whatever that is worth.

Dave
Thanks Dave. In case I have to buy a new one, where have people been buying them? I assume there's some source that has them rebuilt.

Thanks Dave. In case I have to buy a new one, where have people been buying them? I assume there's some source that has them rebuilt.

Napa and JC Whitney still had listings for the Saginaw pump the last time I needed one. The trick is going to be finding the right brackets. Murray Park might have those someplace.

Dave

Dave
What qualities have made the Saginaw better in your book....I am curious. My federal pump works fine, but it's a little noisy sometimes which bugs me.

I got my pump through Rock Auto, but it was rebuilt by Lares corp. in Minnesota. They have a very good reputation for pumps, gears, anything steering related.
They had a $500 core charge for a pump with housing, though, ridiculous...they must be getting rare I guess. That sure propelled me to swap pumps the same day I received the rebuilt unit.

Napa and JC Whitney still had listings for the Saginaw pump the last time I needed one. The trick is going to be finding the right brackets. Murray Park might have those someplace.

Dave
Well, depending on what is presently on my car, I'd probably just try and source the same one. Are the differences obvious? I think mine looks like the one posted above, so may be a Federal.

What qualities have made the Saginaw better in your book....I am curious. My federal pump works fine, but it's a little noisy sometimes which bugs me.

I got my pump through Rock Auto, but it was rebuilt by Lares corp. in Minnesota. They have a very good reputation for pumps, gears, anything steering related.
They had a $500 core charge for a pump with housing, though, ridiculous...they must be getting rare I guess. That sure propelled me to swap pumps the same day I received the rebuilt unit.

The Saginaw pumps were quieter and less prone to leaking. That having been said, you could reasonably expect either pump to go 100k or more without problems. The Federal pumps also got a bad rap because of the lousy brackets that Mopar used on their older vehicles. There was a rubber bushing in the mount that failed and caused the pump to tilt and run out of line. This caused noisy pump operation and eventual failure of the pump if it was left that way long enough. $500 for a core is out of line, they must really be short of cores.

Dave

Well, depending on what is presently on my car, I'd probably just try and source the same one. Are the differences obvious? I think mine looks like the one posted above, so may be a Federal.

The Federal has a pressed on pulley, the Saginaw will have a threaded pulley mount.

Dave

Last edited:
Rockauto.com has about 25 different remanufactured pumps. Most seem to be Saginaw, but there's a few Federal. I guess the next goal is to find who the best remanufacturer is.

Rockauto.com has about 25 different remanufactured pumps. Most seem to be Saginaw, but there's a few Federal. I guess the next goal is to find who the best remanufacturer is.

Mainly want to avoid Cardone rebuilds, most of their stuff is crap.

Dave

The Federal pump on our '66 Newport is original to the car, which had over 150K when I parked it years ago. No pump issues, noises, or leaks. That "flex mount" bracket was really neat! Even with the pump sitting cock-eyed (looking like it might fall off), when the steering wheel was turned all the way to one side, at full travel, the pump would lean into the belt, via a torque reaction of sorts.

The problem with that set-up was that people didn't understand how it worked and why the p/s belt appeared "loose". Once, when the car was newer, I sought to get it tightened up and it really didn't work that way. There had to be enough looseness in the base adjustment for the torque reaction to work. I really liked that the belt didn't squall like GM cars tended to do AND that the belt lasted a very long time, being under less stress when max pressure wasn't used. The front seal and bushing would also last longer, without those additional stresses, too.

The service manager at the local Chrysler dealer (who remembered working on Dodge Bros. cars, when he was younger in PA) explained how that system worked, and that they welded-up the brackets for some customers. Knowing how things worked, I declined to do that.

Another mis-understood Chrysler engineering "advance", it seems. Not the first, not the last. FWIW

CBODY67

As to which pump is the best? I suspect that Chrysler used the Saginaw pump due to price, as it was common on GM cars by the later 1960s. Hence, lower price than the larger Federal pump. "Federal" might have stopped building them, too?

Funny thing was that after the '69 road tests came out, it was noted that the '69 C-body cars didn't do too well in the slaloms. One reason was "pump catch", where the power steering pump can't keep up with the pressure demands, so the steering wheel goes boostless for a second and then it catches up and power returns until it goes away again. Never heard of that issue with the '68s and prior road tests. Even my '77 Camaro has that issue, after I put a reman pump on it! Just trying to park the car! Needs TWO belts to keep the pump from squalling its belts, usually.

The other reason the cars didn't do well in the slaloms was probably the OEM Goodyear tires. Another change that happened in the '69 model year. Too slippery, it seems.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

That is a Federal Pump, unless it is shot, do not replace it. If your are getting abnormal performance or noise from the pump, try flushing the fluid first, I does degrade over time.

Dave

That is a Federal Pump, unless it is shot, do not replace it. If your are getting abnormal performance or noise from the pump, try flushing the fluid first, I does degrade over time.

Dave
It appears to be leaking badly.

Back