Corrosion

Reaction score
IMG_20220813_135134062.jpg

I have electrical problems that seem like a sort then I saw corrosion on this that I forgot the name to but I was wondering if anyone knows how to clean the corrosion out of this.

I replaced mine with a better used one and still had problems on these bumpy Cleveland roads. Ended up soldering some connections together. Mopar just didn't know how to make strong electrical connections back then.

If it was mine, I would get a few spare connectors, electrical diagram, and a watch screwdriver out and start removing the connectors from the block and individually clean each one. After cleaning (detox)if one or two look a little sketchy I would replace with a new connector. Don’t forget the male connectors that plug into the bulkhead as well.

I have tried using a cup of distilled vinegar, it's acid will eat away at the rust.

Have a second plastic cup handy full of distilled water and put baking soda in it.
Baking soda will neutralize the vinegars acids.

Dip the connector if able in the vinegar cup.

When done, dip the connector in the baking soda water mix.

There is also a product called CLR it's tough on lime/rust.

Dealt with this last year when I started to go through my electrical condition of my bulkhead. Found considerable corrosion in the bulkhead and fuse block, check these areas definitely and clean as others have said. Make sure your bulkhead connectors are not broken, brittle or not able to secure electrically to the bulkhead. Check with multimeter continuity. Definitely do ammeter bypass as described on this forum. Check and clean fuse block and make Dahm sure you have continuity through it. By checking I mean correct amperage fuse in its correct place in the block. Now with that said, inside under the dash to the left up there where your bulkhead connector and fuse block is mounted there might not be as much corrosion as on the engine bay side, but you have to look and see. Mine was terrible clean it check continuity. And also, it goes without saying look at your wires coming in from both sides, is there chafing, insulation intact, shorting, check the whole integrity of your wires is what I'm saying. If you do this, you will reduce some if not all of your electrical problems in your Mopar. If I missed something of importance in this advice or given wrong advice please chime in guys, this forum full of knowledge.

I was going to offer the connection block from mine (I'm just completely replacing the loom) but it's covered in paint... (I didn't do that). It's also a bit mangled but the connectors look reasonably good.

20220816_074646.jpg

If you want it for the connectors though, let me know.

Phil

That bulkhead is the Achilles heel of our beloved Chryslers.

And seems like the last guy didn't think twice to mask off the electrical connections.

These guys have new bulkhead connectors.

EvansWiring.com : Product Catalog

Mark

That's good that there are repops but the issue still remain with all you electrical current going through that bulkhead.

(Unless you did the ammeter & bulkhead bypass with fusible links)

Making the electrical harness look stock while applying the bypasses is a challenge in it's self.

(Answer to the issue: don't pop the hood at shows lol)

Back