Crankshaft pullies not interchangeable? 383 and 400

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm working on my engine for my 1968 Newport. The original 383 was toast so I got a 1977 400 engine, also from a Newport.

I'm currently cleaning and painting all engine components so that the engine can go in like it was new from the factory. I want to use most parts from my '68 383 so that it still looks like the original engine.

I have to use the '77 harmonic damper since it has a balance weight where the '68 damper didn't. I wanted to use the '68 crank pullies since they are nicer than the '77s.

But I've just noticed that one of the holes is not aligned. Can I enlarge the hole in the pulley and use it. Or are pully and harmonic damper balanced together?

IMG_20210206_150432__01.jpg

Just enlarge the hole, it will not hurt anything.

Note that if you have an externally balanced '77 engine, the torque convertor is also weighted, so be sure to find the correct convertor before you install the engine or you will have a severe out of balance condition.

Dave

Just enlarge the hole, it will not hurt anything.

Thanks for the input.

Note that if you have an externally balanced '77 engine, the torque convertor is also weighted, so be sure to find the correct convertor before you install the engine or you will have a severe out of balance condition.

Dave

Thanks for the tip. I was aware of this. I'm using a non-weighted mopar 10-3/4" HP converter. But I've got a B&M weighted flexplate on it's way :)
B&M 10237 B&M Flexplates | Summit Racing

Yup, they changed to symmetric bolt pattern for pulley along the way

Back