Darrell Brown loved this car to death

I think that there were four things that Darrell liked to do. First and foremost, he liked to drive this car.

Second, he was involved in charity work:
IMG_1812.JPG

Third, he liked to gamble a little:
IMG_1805.JPG

Fourth, he liked to drink:
IMG_1822.jpg

Sorry, five things. He liked women too:
Darrell Brown Newport.jpg

I can just see him with the top down, Everly Brothers blaring, and the rose colored glasses:
IMG_1831.JPG

Which one of the ladies left the Wet'n'Wild nail polish?

Looks like some promotional stuff:
IMG_1826.JPG

And the last of the oddities:
IMG_1830.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

No clue what he used all the batteries for.

Finally, an interim license:
IMG_1817.JPG

After spending all this time on/with this car, I can't help but think that I would really like Darrell. He had the absolute best taste in cars, and he did everything possible to keep it going. My kind of guy.

And I think that the spirit of this car lives on in my rattle box train wreck. Every time that I put the top down and look out the windshield, I think of Darrell riding with me.

Just about a year ago now, I took my convertible for it's last ride of the season. It didn't last too long. The radiator blew and we came home on a flat bed.

So the car sat most of this summer, I just couldn't get to the repair/replacement work.

Then one Saturday in late August, I spent the time to replace the bad radiator with the one from Darrell's car. I had a spare on the shelf that only leaks at the neck, so that went into Darrell's car. Looped the heater hose on both cars, my car needs a heater core.

That first ride after looking at the car for so long was really satisfying.

Thanks Darrell, wherever you are.

John

Darrell reminds me of my Late Father. It seemed all he wanted to do in life was Drive his Mopar and Enjoy it and Drove it until his final Days. Just like my Dad Did.

And seeing the lengths he went to, to keep the car On the road and running is very neat to see.

Perhaps he did love the car, but couldn't he have done more to prevent it from rusting out so badly?

Perhaps he did love the car, but couldn't he have done more to prevent it from rusting out so badly?
Possibly, but then it would have just been another 1/2 assed "survivor" that everyone would have picked apart unmercifully.

Since he drove the car year round in western N.Y., I assume it was his only vehicle, so he probably couldn't be without it for very long.

I'd say it's in pretty good shape for 40 northeast winters.

And he did use pressure treated plywood.:lol:

Possibly, but then it would have just been another 1/2 assed "survivor" that everyone would have picked apart unmercifully.

Actually, it is a half assed survivor that I'm "taking" apart "mercifully"

BTW, thank you for your comment in post #42.

John

The Story and archeological finds make the favorable difference.
The car itself is even less than half assed, actually criminally hazzardous if you'd take German safety inspection Standards for example. But after all it scooted through the decades without harming anyone as it seems. The owner was a Lucky man in many respects.

Living on a construction site for about a year does that to you.

Since he drove the car year round in western N.Y., I assume it was his only vehicle, so he probably couldn't be without it for very long.

I'd say it's in pretty good shape for 40 northeast winters.

And he did use pressure treated plywood.:lol:
The winters over there must be harsh.

The winters over there must be harsh.

They can be. But for the most part, no tornados, hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, or sustained temps over 100 degrees.

I absolutely love the season changes here, it's the main reason that I stay.

There's something really cool about getting fallen leaves in the back seat of the convertible.

For me, dealing with winter is all about preparation and dressing properly.

John

SU1HLTIwMTQwMTA2LTAzNDUwLmpwZw_zps8303b197.jpg
They can be. But for the most part, no tornados, hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes, or sustained temps over 100 degrees.

There's something really cool about getting fallen leaves in the back seat of the convertible.

For me, dealing with winter is all about preparation and dressing properly.

John

God bless those of you who stay year round in northern winter climates. For if everyone did what I can't wait to do (get the Hell out from Nov-May), I'd be coming back to derailed trains and wolves running through supermarkets. Thanks for keeping civilization going.

Regarding the question about winters from the Australian bloke, they are brutal in the northern US. And to deal with it, the roads are coated with salt brine half the year. It's really not a place people should live, but we manage.
Um9zZXZpbGxlLTIwMTMwNDEzLTAxNjk1LmpwZw_zps85043c0b.jpg

SU1HLTIwMTQwMTA2LTAzNDUwLmpwZw_zps8303b197.jpg

God bless those of you who stay year round in northern winter climates. For if everyone did what I can't wait to do (get the Hell out from Nov-May), I'd be coming back to derailed trains and wolves running through supermarkets. Thanks for keeping civilization going.

Regarding the question about winters from the Australian bloke, they are brutal in the northern US. And to deal with it, the roads are coated with salt brine half the year. It's really not a place people should live, but we manage.
Um9zZXZpbGxlLTIwMTMwNDEzLTAxNjk1LmpwZw_zps85043c0b.jpg
Wolves you say?, don't they hang around Wall Street, in New York?
I've watched shows about driving in the snow and ice covered roads, both in USA and Canada, doesn't look like much fun to me.

I've watched shows about driving in the snow and ice covered roads, both in USA and Canada, doesn't look like much fun to me.

Properly equipped, it's a blast. But then again, I've done some ice racing in rubber to ice (no studs). There's nothing like steering your car with the rear end.

John

This is why I live here:
20161102_165204.jpg

20161102_170301.jpg

November 2nd and I got to take a ride and go for ice cream at one of the last places open for the season.

This is where I was:

Albany Rural Cemetery Civil War Cemetery Albany, NY Burial Plots | Genealogical Research Albany, NY Natural Burials

It's a really beautiful place with lots of elevation changes and walking trails. It's only three miles from my shop, which makes it a great place to escape to when I need some quiet time.

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

John

This is why I live here:
View attachment 101939
View attachment 101940

November 2nd and I got to take a ride and go for ice cream at one of the last places open for the season.

This is where I was:

Albany Rural Cemetery Civil War Cemetery Albany, NY Burial Plots | Genealogical Research Albany, NY Natural Burials

It's a really beautiful place with lots of elevation changes and walking trails. It's only three miles from my shop, which makes it a great place to escape to when I need some quiet time.

Hope you all enjoy the pics.

John
While the winters can be tough, New York State has some really great places and sights to see. I really like living here... Just don't ask me about it in January.

Wolves you say?, don't they hang around Wall Street, in New York?

No wolves left in New York State. They were hunted to extinction.

We do have an abundance of coyotes. On some nights, I can hear them howling in the woods out beyond my house. Occasional foxes too... I saw a red fox a few weeks ago.

Driving in the winter can be tough, but around here they take care of the roads pretty well. The problem is the same care they take to melt the ice also destroys sheet metal.

We do have an abundance of coyotes. On some nights, I can hear them howling in the woods out beyond my house. Occasional foxes too... I saw a red fox a few weeks ago.

Driving in the winter can be tough, but around here they take care of the roads pretty well. The problem is the same care they take to melt the ice also destroys sheet metal.
Surely there are plenty of well dressed wolves left, with the national debt as it is...

A dingo ate yo baby. Lol

But seriously the rustbelt sucks for old cars. I used to winterize my classic 6 months out of the year, and keep only storage insurance on it during that time. My buddy bought 6 new jersey bell chevy chevettes with 4 speed manuals in a lot of 6 at a local auction. For $200. He thought he was bidding on one car. So i bought one from him for $25. Winter beater, i kept the waste oil from my good car, and added it when it got low in the chevette, threw on a new filter every so often. Another buddy owned an old postal jeep he got for $30 at auction. Inline 6, and b a dana 44 with a locker it was exellent in the snow.

I live in Texas now. Have been here 23 years. Yeah the summers are friggin hot, but nothing rusts out, and 40 year old bolts come apart without WD40 and a torch applied. I miss the fall and summers in the northeast, but with those brutal winters and road salt that eats cars, you can keep that ****.

Back