Didn't Need It But, Have It For Now

My neighbor as a kid had a blue one like the 5-0 car. I'm sure that one is long gone. I really like the shape. Great find!

Yeah, the Five-O car still exist. It was or still is a little crusty. That was a 74 model and pretty much the same drivetrain as my car. My understanding the Ford/Mercury is the same underneath from '73-'78 model line.

Where I am, those are seldom seen... and one like that would be a candidate for an artificial reef program.

There's another listed here on for $8k but, it is very nice and I think it is 78 Magnum but, no sunroof or T-bar.

here is a 1974 2dr w/a 400 in ohio. ad us from last week.pictures look good but it is not perfect

1974 Mercury Monterey 2 DR. HT.

Wow, that's a pretty rare car as I have seen more two door models in the higher trim lines. Decent price and right in demo derby area as well. To be honest we'll see how this Mercury turns out. If I decide I think I may try out a car from the GM fullsize line like a Buick, Olds, or Pontiac. In fact, there is an 455 Olds 98 I'd like to save but, it may get trashed as well.

Yeah, the Five-O car still exist. It was or still is a little crusty. That was a 74 model and pretty much the same drivetrain as my car. My understanding the Ford/Mercury is the same underneath from '73-'78 model line.
That's good. I was referring to the possibility that my neighbor's car was still around. Somewhat ironic is the other car that they owned was a white Ford Torino like Starsky & Hutch. On the 5-0 topic, there is a possibility, that I have a car that was used on the episode "Death wish on Tantalus mountain". The red Pantera driven by Ricardo Montalban. Another car is claimed as the actual, but according to several mine is the car. A 1971 that Ford kept until 1973. I really don't know.

there is a possibility, that I have a car that was used on the episode "Death wish on Tantalus mountain". The red Pantera driven by Ricardo Montalban. Another car is claimed as the actual, but according to several mine is the car. A 1971 that Ford kept until 1973. I really don't know

let see it!

That's the one. The argument is that a red push button, owned by a park ranger on the island was used in the video. What a couple of Pantera guys have claimed is that although that part is true, my car was still owned by Ford, which supplied the cars for 5-0. I think the date on the episode is 1972 IIRC. My car has additional holes under the mirror where another was attached, mine was also the only car sold with dual slot wheels, which are shown in the show. Pushbutton Panteras came with single slot wheels. I found an extra set for mine recently. (The wheels on mine presently are Boyd single slot replicas). The claimed car has single slot wheels. There is a few other things, so who really knows. It would be cool if true, but at this point it's just a guess unless someone finds something with a vin on it.

DSCF9505.JPG
DSCF9506.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
pics expanded

Thanks for posting - I love the pantera body style.

What's the swooping red car next to it? Porsche or Mini?

Wow, that Pantera is cool. Its too bad you couldn't try to verify the history. I know John Nordlum would know anything or not. Here's a little story on the '68 Mercury used in the series. A Tale of McGarrett's Mercury

Thanks. Yes, the 100% proof 5-0 link would be cool. I do have the history that the shows it with Ford in Michigan until 1973. The car was used as a demonstrator car that went around with 4 other Panteras on a tractor trailer across US promoting the car in 1971. I bought it from the original owner, I guess around 2001 IIRC. He raced vintage cars and owned a machine shop in Westley California, and took this car apart in 1975 with about 5000 miles on it, to set it up for the track. He stuffed it in a shipping container, and there it sat until I bought it.

Thanks. Yes, the 100% proof 5-0 link would be cool. I do have the history that the shows it with Ford in Michigan until 1973. The car was used as a demonstrator car that went around with 4 other Panteras on a tractor trailer across US promoting the car in 1971. I bought it from the original owner, I guess around 2001 IIRC. He raced vintage cars and owned a machine shop in Westley California, and took this car apart in 1975 with about 5000 miles on it, to set it up for the track. He stuffed it in a shipping container, and there it sat until I bought it.

That's a pretty cool story on the Pantera and that it has remained around all this time. We'll see what happens with the Marquis here. There are some things I like about it and some things I don't. The tilt steering wheel is different in that you use the turn signal lever to tilt the wheel. But, I really haven't worked on or drove this car very much since I've had it. I've did a basic tune up minus the fuel filter which I will change and hopefully tomorrow if I have time to install the other carburetor I have for it. FWIW, I know its a Ford product but, we'll see at some point if I can obtain a C-Body. I'd like to have a "Formal" or a Wagon so we'll see what happens.

Back