Didn't Need It But, Have It For Now

streetmachine

Reaction score
So, I figure I would start a new thread here and it's not a Mopar. Anyways, so back in April we got some tragic news and lost a family member. I said screw it, life is short so I sat out to find something else to mess around with to keep my mind busy. Because I'm kind of Hawaii Five-O fan I started to look around at the 70-78 Mercury Marquis although the one in the show was a '74 that ran the rest of the show pretty much. At this time I had been looking at New Yorkers too along with GM stuff but, they were lot more expensive ranging from $3k-$7k for nice ones not including shipping.

Anyways, I had one I found in OH and the guy wanted $3500 for it. Very nice car but, his ad wasn't honest as while the car was in good shape it had been sitting for a long time and I found that the car had issues so the deal fell through.

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

Last edited:
So, ironically I found some that were overpriced until I saw one that came up on another website for sale. So, I looked and saw it was in my state and only a hundred miles away. The yellow one above was a 76 and this one I was looking at was a 75 Marquis Brougham with a 460, C6 Auto, and Ford 9 inch. Most of these cars I see have either a 351 or 400 in them with a C6 and a 8.8 rear axle. The other unique thing about this car is the cornering lamps and the power vent windows.

His son who was derby guy listed the car for his father. The reason why he was selling is because he just found an old 40s Dodge Power Wagon buried in a collapse barn and had too much other stuff. Anyways, the father told me he offers on this car from the derby guys just drooling at the mouth to buy it and derby it. He told me he wanted it to go to someone who wouldn't derby it as the. The price was already low for what it was and I figure for the price why not especially considering what 68-70 Charger or 70-71 E-Body goes for these days.

So, I took a drive and noticed a few things but, otherwise most of the other stuff worked. But, I didn't buy it right away so I kind of thought on it and then said screw it. I know what the car and for the price just do it! At that point I became the owner of another older car.

So, for the final part of the story. This car according to the title has 51k miles and it is appears that way. The story of the car goes that the previous owner was supposedly one of Orville Lynn Majors victims and so the car sat. The family decided to sell it to the guy I bought it off of and he had the car for a couple of years doing some normal things to get it driving again. Let's put it this way, the car we I got it and as we speak still had the original taillight bulbs, still has the original mufflers (blowed out), and even the original ignition coil on it. I don't have any more pictures right now other than this one along with the build sheet.

13082102_10208324380723830_766088783_n.jpg

13161991_10208338239310286_1520708750_n.jpg

Anyways, there are times when I think about selling this car but, these Marquis are harder to find especially the 460 in them. What's unique about this car is that it is loaded for a Marquis and not a Grand Marquis. Actually, this one is a Marquis Brougham. It has power windows, power locks, a clock, power trunk release, power drivers seat, optional radio. The 460 on these cars came with dual exhaust standard for this model year. The thing that drives me nuts though is not temp gauge or oil pressure gauge.

There are times when I think about selling or trading the car for a 78-79 Dodge Magnum or Formal C-Body but, its kind of unique and the 460 has torque even with the 2.75 gears. It definitely feels very plush down the highway.

Here is some more pictures I took. I really haven't done much with it other than drive it. It needs a good detailing and I need to address a couple of issues. I need to clean the frame and underneath some. It doesn't look pretty because the last owner just pulled it out did a few things and then found his M37.

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

Here is some more pictures I took. I really haven't done much with it other than drive it. It needs a good detailing and I need to address a couple of issues. I need to clean the frame and underneath some. It doesn't look pretty because the last owner just pulled it out did a few things and then found his M37.

Boy, for a car with 53,000 the weather in the Midwest, seeing corn there, is murder on undercarriages. You don't want to see what California cars look like down there.

Looks like it parked over dirt floor in a barn or yard for a while... but not bad IMO. The patches on the exhaust are unlikely to keep it off the ground for very long though... You may want to address that this season.

For a guy without a C body yet, you are doing just fine. I, for one, enjoy the occasional "foreign brand" here... I know there are others. Please keep them coming, just put them in appropriately labeled threads so those who don't care can easily maneuver around them.

I would definitely call this car a win... looks to be a great driver and has lots to keep you talking about it. Glad you saved her from the derby, thanks.:thankyou: Thanks for sharing with us too...

Yes, its still better than some of the Cordobas and Magnums I've seen on Craigslist lately. The floors are pretty clean and the frame is decent. The problem is the undercoating but, its better than what comes from my NW in Chicago. As for California cars yeah I kind of know what they look like. Here's what my 90 Dakota Convertible I used to own looked like from California.

100_1397.jpg

My neighbor as a kid had a blue one like the 5-0 car. I'm sure that one is long gone. I really like the shape. Great find!

Where I am, those are seldom seen... and one like that would be a candidate for an artificial reef program.

Back