Dipstick length

TNT440

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how far below oil pan to block seam should full line on dipstick be. I have 4 old Mopars, 71 New Yorker with 440, 67 Newport with a 383, 64 Polara with a 68 440, and a 63 Dodge 440 with a 426 wedge head. The New Yorker, Newport and Polara all have identical length dipsticks. The tubes on all 4 apppear to be the same length with small differences in the bends. The 63 dipstick is shorter with the full mark about 7/8" further up. I was having oil pan leakage issues. While putting a new gasket in it I noticed this dipstick difference.

Rather than just the dipstick length, the length of the TUBE AND dipstick must be a matched set, in that respect.

Understood, as I indicated above The tubes on all 4 apppear to be the same length with small differences in the bends. So logically if all 4 tubes are the same so should the dipsticks be.

As said, tubes and sticks must be a matched set... That's #1

The easiest way to figure out if you have the correct dip stick is to do an oil change, run the car long enough to fill the filter etc. and stick the dip stick in and look at the marks. If it's on full...well, there ya go. If it's not... You can remark the stick if need be, but you have 4 sticks to try....

The car has a milodon pan on it. I believe it is stock size, it looks like it, but I am not 100% sure of the exact capacity. With just under 6 US quarts in it the oil level is just above the full mark on the longer dipstick (the one I thunk it should be). It shows just under add on the short stick.

The car has a milodon pan on it. I believe it is stock size, it looks like it, but I am not 100% sure of the exact capacity. With just under 6 US quarts in it the oil level is just above the full mark on the longer dipstick (the one I thunk it should be). It shows just under add on the short stick.
I've used the stock replacement Milodon tanks a couple of times and they were 4 qt (+1) capacity.

Yeah I have a 699 pan and the measurements are pretty close to the Milodon minus the recessed area for steering linkage clearance. I took some oil out. Compared all my dipsticks. Although they are the same length full marks vary. Tried to get a more accurate tube length measurement and looks like the tube from a 400 block I have is the same length. That dipstick is reading about an eighth on an inch under full with about 5 1/4 quarts including filter. The dipstick that was in it would want another quart and a half to bring it to full.

Maybe the best thing to do is to put the dipstick and tube from the 400 in the 426, then I will for sure have a matched set. I think I'm the dipstick in this whole conversation.

Are there any part numbers stamped into the dipsticks? If so, you can track them.

Back