Dipstick question

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’m going through my matching numbers 440, refreshing it and repainting it while I have it out of my 1970 300 convertible.
The car came with a ton of extra parts which is great as the previous owner tinkered with the car and removed several factory things that I am now putting back as I am a factory correct guy.
Anyways, the engine came with an aftermarket dipstick and tube on it, but in the parts that came with the care is this dipstick.
I’m curious if anyone can tell me by looking at the photo of this would have been the factory dipstick and tube for my 440?

FE3C10AF-7932-4DFD-BB3E-F43E56D053C2.jpeg

The short answer is no.

The long answer is it looks something like one of these, with a short "flag" type brace that mounts to the engine mount. I looked for a pic and found these were listed on eBay ( Mopar OEM-NOS Oil Dip Stick TUBE 1970-1974 383/400/440! *See FIT Details Below! | eBay ) but I would research the part number etc. before I bought one.

No matter what, they are the same configuration as these. May just have different bend etc.

1647822421724.png

Should be a 7-digit part number stamped into the dipstick?

IF thats out of a 440 the only reason i could see for a bend like that might be a motorhome or van to check the oil under the hood without pulling the engine cover or a non automotive power source

Thanks for the intel; the chrome one seems right, just chrome but a quick trip through the bead blastcabinet will fix that and then it can be painted with the rest of the engine.

Before you paint that dipstick, and because you're a factory correct guy, you might want to consider these pics that I've taken of some very high-end restorations and survivors at recent Mecum auctions.

Just sayin'.
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_2015.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG

As @Trace 300 Hurst is showing, the dip stick tube is never painted engine color. A silver...ish type paint will probably duplicate the crappy plating of the original.

Back