Disc brake conversion for 1964 Chrysler 300k

Hello....... anyone have info on a drum to disc swap on a '64 300 K Thanks......... Kenny in Vegas
www.magnumforce.com makes a kit for this application. It is expensive, about $1900 plus shipping. If the car does not already have power brakes, it will need to be converted to power brakes with the appropriate master cylinder and booster and proportioning valve.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks....I'll Google company. Very few cars were like 1964 300's. My factory service manual includes Newports, New Yorkers, 300's and Imperials.

I went with their upgraded caliper, bigger piston size I bought some generic dust shields and going to see if I can make them work. The only thing you get from them is the brackets, bearing spacers and banjo bolts and bigger calipers if you want that. They provide you with a parts list for the rest.
20220319_163528.jpg

Could you please send me a pic of your spindle and backing plate assembly? I contacted them about my application...I truly appreciate your help!

G'Day,
Due to us Poor Aussies being Depraved, OOPS Sorry, Deprived of most of the Variety of Chrysler Product over the Years, I need to ask a Silly Question.
Did the 64 300's have the Ball Joint as Part of the Lower Control Arm or were they the same design as a 65-72 Plymouth Fury with the Combined Ball Joint & Steer Arm?
The Reason I ask is that
Many Years Ago I Converted a 59 Dodge Custom Royal to Discs by using the Complete Assemblies from a 73 Dodge Monaco. (Blues Mobile)
I had to have Sleeves machined up to Adapt the Larger Stub Axles to the 59 Ball joints. I'm wondering if the 300 had the Larger Ball Joints?
As I say maybe a Furphy BUT at $1900 for Half a Conversion, It Might be Worth checking this Possibility.
Never Got to See it on the Road as Shortly After I was Retrenched & eventually had to Sell the Car.
Anyway All the Best & Kind Regards, Tony.M

G'Day,
Can't Actually See, But it Looks Like the Ball Joint Fits into the L/C/Arm.
(Been a Lot of Years since I did the 59)
If this is the Case it Certainly would be Worthwhile finding a 73/4 Monaco or Similar & doing some Checking & Measuring Etc.
Should Work out a Bit Cheaper & You won't be in a Situation of having to Purchase "Orphan" Brand Replacement Parts when the Time Comes!
I made that Mistake when I bought a S/H Gear Vendors from a GM.
I had to return to My Old Career of Bank Robbery to Afford the Mopar Conversion Parts I Needed. LOL
(Trouble Being Ugly as I Am Nobody Ever Forgets My Face!)
Not a Good Thing for a Life of Crime. LOL
Keep in Mind I ain't no Expert so Please Double Check Ever thing before Spending Your Money.
But if it Works it will Give you a Pretty Fabulous Capacity in the Way of Stopping Power.
Didn't do My hernia much good trying to Lug around the Stub axle / Disc Brake Assemblies.
They are Huge.
Anyway Hope it All Works Out for You.
All the Best & May God Bless.
Tony.M

G'Day,
If this is the Case it Certainly would be Worthwhile finding a 73/4 Monaco or Similar & doing some Checking & Measuring Etc.
Should Work out a Bit Cheaper & You won't be in a Situation of having to Purchase "Orphan" Brand Replacement Parts when the Time Comes!
I had to return to My Old Career of Bank Robbery to Afford the Mopar Conversion Parts I Needed. LOL
Keep in Mind I ain't no Expert so Please Double Check Ever thing before Spending Your Money.
But if it Works it will Give you a Pretty Fabulous Capacity in the Way of Stopping Power.
Didn't do My hernia much good trying to Lug around the Stub axle / Disc Brake Assemblies.
They are Huge.
Tony.M
Yes, the ball joint goes through the lower control arm and into spindle

20220320_191903.jpg

G'Day,
They are Huge.
Tony.M
The only thing that might end up as orphan parts are the brake rotors, buy 1 extra set now and probably will never have to buy another set. Since the brackets just bolt to the spindle it easy to put back if needed to , keeping all the old parts. Even with the upgraded calipers I, am into it less than $600 bucks I need 2 hoses yet , need to measure what I need when everything is mounted. Mine is already power brakes and I converted to a dual master cylinder years ago .
Disc Brake Conversion
Rotors Bendix Prt 113277 Cordoba$103.581pr
Calipers Scare bird / PadsMST$196.011prLoaded Caliper
Caliper Bracket KitMON D12$194.991 Set
Dust Cap Dorman 1399677 Cordoba$10.642 pr
Inner Bearing Set 17 Timken77 Cordoba$11.782 pr
Ourter Bearing Set 2 Timken65 Ply Fury$9.422pr
Brake Hoses
Repl brake pads1990 Celeberity V6
Calper KitsMid 70 ,s Volare
$526.42

rst .

Last edited:
Sometimes lost in the disc brake conversion discussion is cost and Scarebird wins almost every time. Including factory 73s now that they are so popular. I get that brakes are not a place to skimp. I full brand name kit is easier and does feel more "tested" but after installing my scarebird probably 8 years ago I thinks its a quality product and not really skimping. Not everyone agrees but I'm interested if those that actually have scarebird kit feel differently than I do.

O.K.
Again I Speak out of Old Age & Ignorance, But Many Years Ago We were Warned NOT to Chrome Suspension Parts as the Process Introduced
Critical Stresses into the Part & Made Them Prone to Failure.
Maybe Things have Changed since My Day But Just so You are Aware.
Regards "Orphan" Parts It Cost Me US$1,000 (A$1,440) Plus the GM Components to get the Necessary Mopar Parts for the GV Unit.
(I Hope & Pray I Never Break a GV Component)
The Part that really Pinged Me Off was that about a Month later I bought the Same Components Brand New from a Deceased Estate.
They were Advertised for A$200. (Approx US$150)
What are the Chances?
Regards Tony.M

O.K.
Again I Speak out of Old Age & Ignorance, But Many Years Ago We were Warned NOT to Chrome Suspension Parts as the Process Introduced
Critical Stresses into the Part & Made Them Prone to Failure.
Maybe Things have Changed since My Day But Just so You are Aware.
Regards "Orphan" Parts It Cost Me US$1,000 (A$1,440) Plus the GM Components to get the Necessary Mopar Parts for the GV Unit.
(I Hope & Pray I Never Break a GV Component)
The Part that really Pinged Me Off was that about a Month later I bought the Same Components Brand New from a Deceased Estate.
They were Advertised for A$200. (Approx US$150)
What are the Chances?
Regards Tony.M
Regarding chrome plating suspension parts....all the parts were chrome plated 40 years ago....not one problem. The rearend and leaf springs were chrome plated as well. Thousands of miles ago with no problems.

20220120_155928.jpg

Back