Divorced choke thermostats for stock manifolds??

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Hello gentlemens with infinite wisdom.
Hope I'm posting in the correct area of the forum, otherwise I need help and a question regarding divorced choke settups, (no electric chokes)
that will fit a stock manifold casting #2806301 with a Carter AFB #3856S

More information below regarding the carb/manifold.

Manifold #2806301 casting years:
1968-1969

Carter AFB #3856S, date code:
B5 = 1965

I've been searching around for a divorced choke settup but don't really know what kind of shape/size will go on the stock manifolds.

shopped around for chokes that may fit the manifold but to no avail, I found and bought one but I'm afraid it's the wrong choke.

The choke coil rubs/binds up against the walls in the choke well limiting any movement of the choke rod.

Do I have the wrong divorced choke/combo for the manifold?

Sorry about the questionable grammer/punctuation.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll post pics below, if the ones below are inadequate I'll re-update.

20220707_190630.jpg

20220707_190710.jpg

20220707_190701.jpg

20220707_190654.jpg

20220707_190648.jpg

20220707_190636.jpg

20220702_185950.jpg

20220702_185937.jpg

Last edited:
Update: here's a pic I found on the interwebs, hoping this may be the correct choke? Unknown manifold on the choke.
Courtesy of FCBO member: James Romano.

Screenshot_20220708-043502_Chrome.jpg

IF the thermostat area of the mechanism correctly fits the manifold and moves freely without the carb installed . . . yet with the carb on the manifold, the rod hits the carb and such . . . I might suggest that you get a pair of normal pliers and seek to slightly flatten the bends in the choke rod for clearance. Do things change with a thick OEM insulator gasket under the carb, which will raise the carb about 1/4-3/8"?

The choke thermostat mechanisms are made from two components. The thermostat that must fit the manifold correctly and the rod that goes to the choke linkage. Just changing the rod can make that one thermostat fit a bunch of applications.

BEFORE doing any flattening of the rod, though, contact the seller to make sure you got the correct mechanism for an AFB carburetor, though. Once you start to modify what they sold you, "it's yours" with no possible return possibilities.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Appreciate the responses so far Cbody67, GOLDMYN.

Judging from GOLDMYN's perspective on the choke settup, I have the incorrect choke ROD.

I managed to take a thick sheet of paper (1/4 thick) to raise the carb/thermostat and no dice,

The thermostat mechanism on the choke mounted to the manifold will not move on my manifold. Still binding/bottoming out.

The rod is able to travel more but won't open the butterfly valves fully open.

Seems I made a bad judgement call.
But then again, can't tell if the choke is a dubious remanufactured part that's a
"fits all manifold types" kind of choke.

Consensus is that, I have the wrong choke mechanism coupled with incorrect choke rod combo.

All and all, I think I found the answer,
Appreciate and thank you very much,
Cbody67, GOLMYN, for the answers.

I'll return the part and buy the choke that's for sale (thankfully) which looks to be the correct choke I should have gotten.

Wouldn't have thought I would have my answer in 2 new posts.

Thank you again Cbody67, GOLDMYN.

Managed to find a choke identical to the one on GOLDMYN's settup,

I'll get this one, leaving pics below for comparison.

Last pic is the one I'm swapping for with.

20220707_184529.jpg

20220707_184538.jpg

20220707_184602.jpg

Screenshot_20220708-083752_Chrome.jpg

Oh whoops wrong photo I posted... but yes, Big_John, that is the choke I need.

Huge facepalm on my part for the wrong photo.

Here it is Big_John same one as the pic you posted?

AND it's for a 68-69, right in the ballpark of the manifold!

Screenshot_20220708-092525_Chrome.jpg

Apologies everyone as you literally had to hold my hand along the entire way, I have much to learn on these old Chryslers.

Here it is Big_John same one as the pic you posted?

AND it's for a 68-69, right in the ballpark of the manifold!

View attachment 542856
I think so... I just went to eBay and searched "Mopar choke" and grabbed the first pic. I didn't want to steer you to a specific one because I don't really know what year etc. your car is,

I think so... I just went to eBay and searched "Mopar choke" and grabbed the first pic. I didn't want to steer you to a specific one because I don't really know what year etc. your car is,

My Car is a 1964 Dodge custom 880,
361, pushbutton A727.

I didn't want to get the restrictive #2205968 manifold,(1962-1966)
so I opted for a #2806301 manifold
(1968-1969) with the better runner passages and rise height.

Seems choosing another manifold from the another year range is a Pain in the @as searching for the CORRECT parts.

Plus side is to retain stock linkages without needing conversion kits and such.

So it's a mish mash of parts I'm gathering right now to make the 4 barrel work.

Last edited:
Seems if information is too sparse, It's foolish, I know. But I believe the expensive but sure fire way to see if a choke fits is, buy one fit it. If no fit. Return it.

I'm just clutching at straws right now.

Last edited:
Seems if information is too sparse, It's foolish, I know. But I believe the expensive but sure fire way to see if a choke fits is, buy one fit it. If no fit. Return it.

I'm just clutching at straws right now.
Let me toss this out...

I used one of these conversions for my car and it works great. Carter Electric Choke Conversion Kits

Yea, it's an electric choke, but it has some advantages in being more adjustable and not as dependent on the exhaust crossover to heat the manifold. I had blocked my crossover so a conventional choke wouldn't pull off as fast.

Let me toss this out...

I used one of these conversions for my car and it works great. Carter Electric Choke Conversion Kits

Yea, it's an electric choke, but it has some advantages in being more adjustable and not as dependent on the exhaust crossover to heat the manifold. I had blocked my crossover so a conventional choke wouldn't pull off as fast.
I'll take a look at it, appreciate it Big_John

Just here to update the thread as I just had a "Eureka!" Moment while staring at the intake manifold.

The manifold has 2 holes so the choke thermostat can be threaded in with bolts, but here's the catch.

One hole is not threaded while the other one is.

Meaning the only choke thermostat the #2806301 manifold can accommodate is indeed a choke settup for AVS Carter's.

(Just like the choke settup on 68 4spd Fury's carb pic)
(The flat topped choke thermostat)
(Picture below)

So here's what it comes down to...
Get another Carter carburetor, this time an AVS, NOT an AFB, And get a choke thermostat that works for AVS's.

OR get the electronic choke kit.

Not what I had in mind, but looks like I'm going to get the choke conversion kit.

Appreciate everyone's help.

I'll leave the pic below on what choke works for AVS's

Screenshot_20220708-092525_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back