DIY Woodgrain Shifter Knob

bnz84

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I wanted a more original looking shifter knob for my Hurst shifter so after too much time on the net I pulled together some parts and came up with this. The ball is 2" hardwood with 1 side flat. Drill a hole all the way through and put a bolt in it and then into your drill which now servers a light duty lathe. Put the drill in your vice and a ratchet clamp to hold the trigger down. Use a hard file or paper on a block to get a more tulip looking shape. Plus use the file to flatten the other end which is where the shifter rod will go. Buy these circle craft rings and break off the finger part. Add the mirror mount screw cover (black aluminum) and a aluminum tapered spacer. I needed a 3/8"-16 shifter adapter for Hurst and screwed it in with a little gorilla glue. Then a little stain and spar urethane and bob's your uncle. I glossed over a lot of details because I cant imagine anyone else wanting to do this. But I could add them and even give away my extras. I'm going to do another one in the future because this is too dark. I wanted more cherry color but the gloss darkened it more than I thought. And probably a smaller button. The drill/lathe things surprised me how well it worked. I don't recommend putting a square block on it with a a chisel, but for sanding an already round-ish shape it worked great.

1657109292413.png
IMG_0847[1].JPG
IMG_0848[1].JPG
IMG_0872[1].JPG
IMG_0873[1].JPG

Back