Door locks 77 Newport

Blish

Reaction score
Are the electric door locks intended to lock just the back windows? When I mash the door lock switch down the rears work but i thought it should lock the front doors too? Also the Driver side switch doesnt work, I think its an electrical issue. If someone could explain how these work and if there are any issues that would be very helpful.

-Paul

Hey Paul:

The Power Window lock out switch will keep the two rear windows from going up and down, but the driver can still operate the two front windows.

All of the power lock solenoids should be connected with an orange colored + 12 V power wire
in series starting at the drivers side. You may have a loose connection (which I had in my pass side rear window).

These cars were built like tanks, so it is usually not the component but a wiring - contract - grounding issue.

Good luck - Steve

Are your front door locks hard to operate by hand? Some of my doorlocks were sticking bad enough that the solenoids had insufficient power to move the locks. Might try locking/unlocking your front doors ~20 times by hand and see if it changes anything. Could also hold the switch and sort of help the lock at the same time to see if it'll move. Otherwise probably electrical problem

Sometimes, the lock solenoids will freeze-up with time and non-use. Might remove the rubber boot/shield and spray some penetrating oil into them? Or upgrade them to a newer design that is not nearly as heavy, but might need a new wiring connector? If getting them from a salvage yard, get the wiring connector and a short piece of the attached harness, too?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Maybe i should have clarified a bit more, i meant the door and window locks. ive noticed the window and door locks seem to work in conjunction. i dont think i explained well, i was pretty tired the day i posted this thread.

i located a bad ground and replaced it. i also found the coating on the lockout switch was gone as was the door lock switch... in the same place. this was causing both to work at the same time.

on a rather off topic note, another issue i had was my windows werent working. i fixed all the passenger windows and reset the driver rear window onto the track. all of the windows work.

Hooray! Thanks guys for the advice.

ps i did spray kroil down the passenger lock as it was hard to move. cleaned that right up!

Back