Door panel clip repair?

Imperial dude

Reaction score
1964 Imperial

Despite being as careful as possible when I removed the door panels, some of the spring clips broke through when I popped them out of the bottom of the door
The panels themselves are in very good shape and I don't want to make new cards for them
But I also don't want to have missing clips (a problem that will only get worse)
I also don't want to use trim screws to hold them
Any simple ways to reinforce the hole in the panel so it will hold the clips tight?

1964 Imperial

Despite being as careful as possible when I removed the door panels, some of the spring clips broke through when I popped them out of the bottom of the door
The panels themselves are in very good shape and I don't want to make new cards for them
But I also don't want to have missing clips (a problem that will only get worse)
Any simple ways to reinforce the hole in the panel so it will hold the clips tight?
? layer fiberglass both side then Dremel out slot for clip

1964 Imperial

I used magnets... Yea, sounds crazy, but some street rod door panels use them.

1655596154473.png

About 25 per door with 4 or 5 clips to keep it in position.

I was going to mention some spots of Velcro tape pairs. Magnets can work, too!

All good ideas, once I get all the windows operating correctly and smoothly, I want to be one and done with the door panels, I'm going to cut and install new plastic to seal it up again, vacuum out the bottom of the doors, make sure the drain holes are open, lube all the latches, put on door handles keyed to the ignition, etc etc so hopefully I don't have to take them back off again any time soon

Paint 2-3 coats of polyurethane on the back side of the panels also, to help reduce any moisture-induced warping.
We do need to wash the cars periodically.

1964 Imperial

I used carpenters glue on my '69 300. Gule the broken pieces back on then layer a good coat of the carpenters glue over the repair. Give it a couple days to dry and its harder than the original panel. It will be a little thicker if done right so open the clip part on the clips a little. They dont have to be as tight as when new and theyll fit over the repair. If you dont open then just a little, youll rip out the repairs you just made.

Back