Drive Line Angle will drive you crazy

I cut off my old flare, put a new nut on and re-flared. No leaks now. Took it for a little drive to get some beer and then checked my tune. Idle was a little low 525 rpm and carburetor was a little lean (I was getting a little hesitation off idle) re set idle to 600 and made it a little richer with my vacuum gauge. Checked timing and dwell they were perfect. Then took it for a 20 mile drive. Every thing seems to be working perfectly. Now I can have a beer.
0CB5B5AA-6754-40A8-855C-FE6048FE1358.jpeg

I cut off my old flare, put a new nut on and re-flared. No leaks now. Took it for a little drive to get some beer and then checked my tune. Idle was a little low 525 rpm and carburetor was a little lean (I was getting a little hesitation off idle) re set idle to 600 and made it a little richer with my vacuum gauge. Checked timing and dwell they were perfect. Then took it for a 20 mile drive. Every thing seems to be working perfectly. Now I can have a beer.
View attachment 389013

Hmm. . . Twenty-mile drive. . . That's a two-beer trip ! :poke:

I sent down the drive shaft today. Should be there tomorrow. Only $17 to ship via Spee dee delivery ( Midwest local delivery company that covers about 5 states). If I would have had a corporate account it would have only been $10. Anyway they will call tomorrow and discuss what they can do. The problem for re build is they cannot get the necked down tube. I think it is 2-1/2” at the ends and 3-1/4” in the middle. They didn’t seem too concerned about the integrity with the dent and may try to balance it. They want to look at it first. If it is not salvageable I may have to get a straight replacement shaft. If that is the case I will have to keep a good look out for the correct used one for the future. ( Sorry I do have a small list of things that I want either NOS or gently used to replace a couple of items.)

Mike, I forgot to ask them about your Detroit style shaft. I will try to ask when he calls tomorrow.

I called and talked to them and the answers sounded good - "We can balance that type shaft and if there's any issues with repairing your old joint we have a new adapter to convert the front of your shaft to a u joint.". So I sent it in and got a call Friday, "It's all ready to go, that'll be $351.00." When I asked about the repairs on the old joint "Oh, we can't even get the rubber boots anymore, much less the internals to rebuild the joint." Got it back today and it does look nice, but it would be nice if they were all on the same page, i.e. being told up front it can't be fixed - Hell, I have the boot and cover here, I was mostly concerned about balancing it afterward, so I could have sent parts with it.
upload_2020-8-3_13-8-21.png

Original on top, new mod below. (The top shaft is the better of the two I had and the torn boot isn't obvious in this pic.)

Now I need to reassemble the rest of the driveline and find out how smooth it is.

Well they forgot to call me to get a credit card number before they shipped it back to me. I hadn’t heard from them so I called them back. That’s when they told me It was on its way back.

I called and talked to them and the answers sounded good - "We can balance that type shaft and if there's any issues with repairing your old joint we have a new adapter to convert the front of your shaft to a u joint.". So I sent it in and got a call Friday, "It's all ready to go, that'll be $351.00." When I asked about the repairs on the old joint "Oh, we can't even get the rubber boots anymore, much less the internals to rebuild the joint." Got it back today and it does look nice, but it would be nice if they were all on the same page, i.e. being told up front it can't be fixed - Hell, I have the boot and cover here, I was mostly concerned about balancing it afterward, so I could have sent parts with it.
View attachment 393174
Original on top, new mod below. (The top shaft is the better of the two I had and the torn boot isn't obvious in this pic.)

Now I need to reassemble the rest of the driveline and find out how smooth it is.
So is the bottom shaft half Of one of your original shafts with a new front?

View attachment 389013
Sweet ride. I like it. Kim

Back