Drum Brake lesson learned

66furys

Reaction score
When I first pulled drums to rebuild, I found no wear that would cause a lip.....so just went on with things. Unfortunately, I did not really clean up the rust and crud on the lip. So, I just pulled the rear drums for Ebrake work, and they would not come off. I had to loosen the adjuster about 3/4 to 1 turn. So, I have now taken a sanding disc and removed the rust and crud in the hope that next time they may come off. Yes, the adjusters tighten things up pretty good, but since they turn, they should slide.....so here is hope. Just something to consider for future work.

When I first pulled drums to rebuild, I found no wear that would cause a lip.....so just went on with things. Unfortunately, I did not really clean up the rust and crud on the lip. So, I just pulled the rear drums for Ebrake work, and they would not come off. I had to loosen the adjuster about 3/4 to 1 turn. So, I have now taken a sanding disc and removed the rust and crud in the hope that next time they may come off. Yes, the adjusters tighten things up pretty good, but since they turn, they should slide.....so here is hope. Just something to consider for future work.

It is not uncommon to have to back of the brake adjusters to get the drum off. Good job removing the rust etc.

I had to loosen the adjuster about 3/4 to 1 turn.
Haven't done to many brake jobs have you?

It's quite normal to have to back the adjusters way off especially if the drums haven't been ever turned and have a large rust ridge.

Good way to put it....but as I recall from my childhood on these cars....I often just had the drums redone since they were so bad.....these were not. And, what I find is that I learn something every day, and maybe mundane, but thought for anyone who searches, might want to think about that rust line.

Speaking of problems with drum brakes, this happened to me a few days ago:

brake-shoes.jpg

Front driver's side brake shoes. It happened in my driveway, I was only driving the car around the circle in front of my house. Wheel seemed to act a little strange. Next day I took it apart, found that the linings had detached. They were probably 3/16 inch thick. I would have put these on new, about 30 years ago. Replacement shoes coming tomorrow.

I continue to hope that the beijing glue is better today than was then.....although as you wander thru the stores whether Lowes, Walmart or NAPA, the parts, the pieces and the stuff comes from china, mexico, and a bit from vietnam......but not from iowa or detroit any more. Wonder where this will end up.

Back