Dual Master Cylinder

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding my entire brake system including the lines and master cylinder. I figure it is better to be able stop first before the engine runs consistently(Just in Case). I was wondering if I should replace my single master cylinder with a dual? I have a 65 Polara 500 with factory power brakes. Does anyone know what year master I should use?

Thanks
Eric

If you're going dual M/C you'll need the proportioning valve too and you're better off going with a used factory one for a drum-drum system rather then a new adjustable one. We ARE assuming we're talking power brakes here so you have the booster rite?

If you're going dual M/C you'll need the proportioning valve too and you're better off going with a used factory one for a drum-drum system rather then a new adjustable one. We ARE assuming we're talking power brakes here so you have the booster rite?

I thought you only needed the proportioning if you were converting to disc.
The dual master was standard starting in 67.
It should be a direct bolt-in.

Alan

Actuaaly you won't need a different dist block..

You will just need to block on of the ports going to the back brake system.

The other 2 front ports will still be used.

The rear M/C resiviour will feed the back brake line.

Have a look at my setup. Dual M/C

It is from a 67 Polara drums all around
You cn see that I plugged the rear port with a proper plug for hydraulic brakes Got it at AZ for about $5

attachment.php

Actuaaly you won't need a different dist block..

You will just need to block on of the ports going to the back brake system.

The other 2 front ports will still be used.

The rear M/C resiviour will feed the back brake line.

Have a look at my setup. Dual M/C

It is from a 67 Polara drums all around
You cn see that I plugged the rear port with a proper plug for hydraulic brakes Got it at AZ for about $5

attachment.php

If you want to use the existing line and not use a coupling, you'll need a different distribution block. I used the one from Inline Tube for my '65 300.

http://inlinetube.com/Prop Valves/BLK243.htm

If you want to use the existing line and not use a coupling, you'll need a different distribution block. I used the one from Inline Tube for my '65 300.

http://inlinetube.com/Prop Valves/BLK243.htm

Does the 65 have a brake safety switch on the distribution block?

If not I'd go with this otherwise BLK244 or BLK245
You would not need the other valves shown in the picture, those are for disc brake cars.

Alan

Great point Alan.

The older Polaras didn't have that feature but if one was industrious enough it can be plumbed into the system.

A warning light would have to be added on the dash to indicate if there was a failure of one of the systems

Thanks for all of the replies. I will look for a 67 or 68 master cylinder at work on Monday(AutoZone). I do have the factory power brake booster(Is there any way to bench test to make sure it is good?).

As for the lines I was considering replacing the lines with the complete set from inline tube. I still might I do it myself, most likely I'll use a plug in my original block. The rear would just have one line to going back to a splitter in the rear, right?

Thanks again.

Eric

Before starting your car, pump the pedal a few times to get rid of the vacuum that is there. Start your car with your foot on the brake pedal, when it starts the engine vacuum will activate your power booster and your pedal should move down a little. I think.

Back