dumb license plate light question...

PM27G0D

Reaction score
Working on getting all the lights working on my '70 Suburban wagon and the two license plate bulbs appear to be bad. How do you get into these things to change the bulb??
license plate light.jpg

So when all else fails....consult the fsm! Of course, it was a litle misleading...it says to "snap" the socket off the lens, but actually, you have to "turn" it to unlock and separate it.
Now, to get the socket to actually be grounded to the lens assembly. Both bulbs were fine...it's the ground path from the socket to the housing that has issues.

I'd wire wheel the exterior of the socket and reinstall to see if I get ground
I'm going to try that today. I soaked the lens housing in Evaporust last night and they look a bit better. I also have to fix the broken wires that feed these....many reasons they weren't working!

I'm going to try that today. I soaked the lens housing in Evaporust last night and they look a bit better. I also have to fix the broken wires that feed these....many reasons they weren't working!
I'm not seeing a way to separate the "spring steel" part that actually holds it in the bumper from the housing to clean that area up. There is corrosion between those parts and that's preventing grounding to the bumper. For the time being, I found some cheap generic ones at Autozone that fit into the bumper holes with only slight modification....so at least I have working plate lights. I would like to either figure out how to fix my originals or find some good used ones eventually....maybe at Carlisle.

You can make a clean spot with a sanding roll on a Dremel. The wrap with some wire and hose-clamp it into place. Run the wire to a good ground. Put some electrical grease on to slow corrosion.
That would be one 'hack' way to get the originals working.

Back