dye my headrests

chry73luv

Reaction score
I want to clean up my white headrests on my 73 newport. Any suggestions on what way to go? They are ok except for a little sun fading. Thought I would try to dye them. Anybody have any luck with this and what product did you use? Thanks

SEM.

Just follow the instructions to the letter. Buy the SEM soap, cleaner and adhesion promoter. You may even find after using the SEM soap, you won't have to refinish them.

SEM.

Just follow the instructions to the letter. Buy the SEM soap, cleaner and adhesion promoter. You may even find after using the SEM soap, you won't have to refinish them.

Good advise. You can not get the work surface too clean! I have found that the finish comes out much nicer and with more of a factory look if you use the SEM Semi Gloss clear as a final coat.
The interior of this truck was all navy blue before we dyed it.

20150415_215038.jpg

20150415_215038.jpg

I bought one of those P-C's few years back.
I've yet learned enough to use it properly. Need to go to school for that thing.

SEM.

Is this product available at one of the major auto store retailers or does it need to be ordered online?

Is this product available at one of the major auto store retailers or does it need to be ordered online?

Either way..... I have found that it is better to see the color selection in person to get the best match but the auto parts stores generally have a limited selection. If you can get someone to send you the color chart then you can order it on line for less. Also one of the better automotive paint jobbers in your area should have a color chart. Email SEM for auto paint stores in your area, not just parts stores. I can not stress enough that the semi gloss clear coat is what makes the best look, feel and finish. Some of the first pieces I dyed just did not look right and I had a upholstery shop tell me to use the clear coat and it made all the difference.
The tufting and the buttons that are recessed can require multiple cleanings to get the surface really clean, especially if you or a PO have used ArmorAll or a similar product. I have had good luck cleaning using a small hand held steamer being careful not to get the vinyl too hot. You will be amazed at the dirt and crud that will come out. Also a warning, do not use paper towels for the last cleaning, as they will leave fibers on the surface that do not show up until you start spraying the dye....ask me how I know. Use well washed old terry cloth towels and finish with a treated tack cloth you can get at any home improvement store. I think you will be pleased with the results. Good luck!

Those seat look like leather, if they are you better get the right dye if you use SEM. If you use a lacquer based dye on leather, YOU WILL have problems. You need a water borne dye for leather, regardless of what anybody says otherwise.

A well supplied auto body store that handles the SEM line should have everything you need.

I bought one of those P-C's few years back.
I've yet learned enough to use it properly. Need to go to school for that thing.

Get a few good foam pads and have at it. A little patience and common sense and you can do a lot with one.

Obligatory black hood with clouds picture of the Grand Prix GTP I used to have.

once the material starts breaking down a redye is not going to help

Back