Dyno numbers, ET, MPH and weight...

I could never understand why they race 1/8 now. I guess it's just a new thing and I would guess it's less money to build the track??

And how ever much room you have to build a track. Its quicker to race and get the race over with and less maintenance on the track as well.

Yeah I figured as much. Just doesn't seem right to race an 1/8 mile. I'm so use to racing 1/4 mile. Just seems odd to me, but it's still racing and that's all that matters.

Here is one I built the engine for. Its an Aspen in stock trim with a decent little 360 that kinda matched the one in my old duster with just a bit more cam. This was from yesterday.

Engine was around 288hp and capable of running a 13.53 1/4 at close to 100mph. That is calculating it with it weighing 3700 and using your time slip.

image.jpg

your set up isn't taking into account tire size or gear ratio either is it? I am pretty sure that even at the wheels its a little more than that. But I think we are planning on doing a chassis dyno with it so I will let you know if we do that.

65 Sport Fury Convertible. Lightened by removing entire heater assy (box, core, hoses), no carpet padding, using Plymouth Sundance bucket seats, scraped undercoating, manual steering, no jack, no spare, no radio, no speakers, Aluminum water pump/housing, aluminum intake, ...I am probably forgetting something (all steel body-go figger).
FYI, I went 12.35 at the 4250 weight. The 440 has been worked over a little.
3.91 gears and P255-60R15 tires.

Last edited:
your set up isn't taking into account tire size or gear ratio either is it? I am pretty sure that even at the wheels its a little more than that. But I think we are planning on doing a chassis dyno with it so I will let you know if we do that.

That's right,it doesn't take wheel size or gears into account,.but for calculation sakes,.its pretty dead on for a good estimate. Reason I say that is taking all the specs I received from this site and my buddies cars that all race and it comes very close to what they are running, within a tenth or 2 either way. I guess you could say it calculates a dam good guesstimate...LOL. For example,..my buddies 67 Cornet R/T runs a 10.56 at 127mph and is 3900lbs. Plugging in the weight and HP of 621 (Dynoed) into the QMC,.it calculates...10.667 at 126.839 and 3900lbs. Pretty close! I also think these calculations are based on a 0 reaction time and perfect air. I will see how it does when I run my car. It's calculating it to run a 12.505 @ 108.199. We will see...!!! Please let me know if you get it Dynoed.

65 Sport Fury Convertible. Lightened by removing entire heater assy (box, core, hoses), no carpet padding, using Plymouth Sundance bucket seats, scraped undercoating, manual steering, no jack, no spare, no radio, no speakers, Aluminum water pump/housing, aluminum intake, ...I am probably forgetting something (all steel body-go figger).
FYI, I went 12.35 at the 4250 weight. The 440 has been worked over a little.
3.91 gears and P255-60R15 tires.

Then that changes things. @ 3900lbs,.. 436 HP and if you ran the car did it do close to 12.002 ET @ 112.734?

I don't know, but maybe it's the value or price of land these days. Also, maybe it makes it easier to find a large enough parcel of land, especially with the NIMBY crowd opposing the construction of dragstrips and stock car tracks.:(

I've been trying to make my car lose a bit of weight too, LOL. But, without giving up things that I don't want to get rid of, she's probably not going to lose very many pounds. With my aluminum intake she does lose some weight, but most four-barrel carbs are heavier than two-barrel carbs, with the possible exception of Thermoquad's, so, by going to a four-barrel, I gain some weight back again. I could see going with an aluminum water pump and housing as a way to lose a few more pounds without giving up anything.

I don't know what my car actually weighs. I have never weighed it. I have found three different sources of literature that list it as;

1971 Chrysler Newport Custom 2-dr HT Coupe, base model, 383-V8.

Source 1. Listed as 3990 lbs.
Source 2. Listed as 4050 lbs.
Source 3. Listed as 4075 lbs.

I'm assuming, of course, that those numbers are without a driver. I don't know if that's with the tank full or empty, or with or without the spare and jack. Do any of those sound possible or do they all seem way off?

Then that changes things. @ 3900lbs,.. 436 HP and if you ran the car did it do close to 12.002 ET @ 112.734?

I haven't looked for the time slip yet. If I recall, it was 12.35 at around 108 mph, and that was at 4250 plus my weight (I think I weighed about 125 back then). I have no idea what the HP was for the engine, no way to measure it back then except to use ET charts. I wanted to run 11's but never got there. I put a tunnel ram on the engine and proceded to run 13.90's @ 110 with 2.9 sec 60 ft times and more tire smoke than John Force. Could not get it to hook to save my life but it was a wild ride. Awesome on the street, that setup is still in the car now but I am building a replacement engine that is supercharged. Too much is not enough. I have done some suspension work to (hopefully) improve traction. Time will tell.
I will try to find that time slip, it was with an NHRA timer setup and has 60 ft, 100ft, 1/8 and 1/4 mile increments.

I don't know, but maybe it's the value or price of land these days. Also, maybe it makes it easier to find a large enough parcel of land, especially with the NIMBY crowd opposing the construction of dragstrips and stock car tracks.:(

I've been trying to make my car lose a bit of weight too, LOL. But, without giving up things that I don't want to get rid of, she's probably not going to lose very many pounds. With my aluminum intake she does lose some weight, but most four-barrel carbs are heavier than two-barrel carbs, with the possible exception of Thermoquad's, so, by going to a four-barrel, I gain some weight back again. I could see going with an aluminum water pump and housing as a way to lose a few more pounds without giving up anything.

I don't know what my car actually weighs. I have never weighed it. I have found three different sources of literature that list it as;

1971 Chrysler Newport Custom 2-dr HT Coupe, base model, 383-V8.

Source 1. Listed as 3990 lbs.
Source 2. Listed as 4050 lbs.
Source 3. Listed as 4075 lbs.

I'm assuming, of course, that those numbers are without a driver. I don't know if that's with the tank full or empty, or with or without the spare and jack. Do any of those sound possible or do they all seem way off?

I'm pretty sure that when the factory weighed their cars, it was I think called curb weight without driver and no fuel in them. Shipping weight I guess. Those numbers you posted might be right, but not sure? I would say more near the 4075lbs with no fuel or driver.

I haven't looked for the time slip yet. If I recall, it was 12.35 at around 108 mph, and that was at 4250 plus my weight (I think I weighed about 125 back then). I have no idea what the HP was for the engine, no way to measure it back thenexcept to use Et charts. I wanted to run 11's but never got there. i put a tunnel ram on the engine and proceded to run 13.90's @ 110 with 2.9 sec 60 ft timea and more tire smoke than John Force. Could not get it to hook to save my life but it was a wild ride. Awesome on the street, that setup is still in the car now but I am building a replacement engine that is supercharged. Too much is not enough. I have done some suspension work to hopefully improve traction. time will tell.

Put some sticky's on it. She'll hook..! You have any pics of your car you can post here? Sounds like you're building a monster plant for it. Cool..!!!

My 4250 lb weight is right from the track scales, without driver. I have never trusted the advertised weights of cars. It always seeme to be off, either too high or too low to be reasonable. When I removed items from the car, I weighed them with an old doctors scale (well, a digital one-maybe not so old). i have a spreadsheet somewhere with all the weights and measures. I will try to find that and post it. Might prove interesting to some.

Put some sticky's on it. She'll hook..! You have any pics of your car you can post here? Sounds like you're building a monster plant for it. Cool..!!!

Here is a shot of the engine, I am plumbing the carbs with hard line at the moment.
That is my car, with tunnel ram, behind it.
Blown 505.jpg

Blown 505.jpg

My 4250 lb weight is right from the track scales, without driver. I have never trusted the advertised weights of cars. It always seeme to be off, either too high or too low to be reasonable. When I removed items from the car, I weighed them with an old doctors scale (well, a digital one-maybe not so old). i have a spreadsheet somewhere with all the weights and measures. I will try to find that and post it. Might prove interesting to some.

I take mine to the local junk yard to be weighed. I haven't weighed my Fury yet, but I'm guessing it's around 4300lbs. We'll see.

1966 Chrysler 300 coupe, 500 stroker, 1500cfm mech-sec six pack, 3.91 rear gears, 2140 kg = 4770 lb, with me in it, 12.55 @ 108, (26" drag radials), 12.7 @ 112 with slipping auto, 28" drag radials, 450 rwhp on dyno. slipping auto.

1966 Chrysler 300 coupe, 500 stroker, 1500cfm mech-sec six pack, 3.91 rear gears, 2140 kg = 4770 lb, with me in it, 12.55 @ 108, (26" drag radials), 12.7 @ 112 with slipping auto, 28" drag radials, 450 rwhp on dyno. slipping auto.

Thank you!

Every other blower should be banned as long as you can buy an Allison/Jimmy.

Other Rootes sometimes acceptable. As long as it sits on top of the motor and is directly driven bu a 4"+ belt.
All other forms of boosting is unacceptable.

Back