Early 1970's Online C Body Production Figures???

DeMopuar

Reaction score
Is there anywhere online that has information concerning any of our C Bodies production figures? I am looking at a 1970 Dodge Monaco 500 coupe with 440, power brakes, power steering, A/C, with bucket seats. I know there were approximately 25,000 Monacos built that model year, but is there any breakdown by coupe and sedan and then possibly engine or even the 500 option? I see that Ward's Automotive is a publication where some of this information can be found - just wondering if there's an online place to find this information - I've been trying to find it - but I just haven't found anything other than the 30,000 foot level information - absolutely nothing detailed.

In the Standard Book of Chrysler, there are production numbers for '70 Monaco models, but NOT about options, engines, colors, etc. Not online, though.

Sometimes, in the Ward's information, they'll just give percentages of total vehicles, as to installation rates of some options, but not specific numbers.

Back then, when these cars (and others) were built, the only time that production numbers were considered was with homologation for NASCAR or similar race series cars. Think Superbird and Daytona wing cars, for example. Things were a little different in the Corvette realm of things, though. AND especially in the E-body world, lesser so in the B-body world.

The reason I was interested in '70 Monaco production figures was to see how my '70 Monaco Broiugham 4dr ht, 383 4bbl, W23 Class II 16-slot wheels, tilt/rim blow, and such might end up in "the numbers".

CBODY67

In the Standard Book of Chrysler, there are production numbers for '70 Monaco models, but NOT about options, engines, colors, etc. Not online, though.

Sometimes, in the Ward's information, they'll just give percentages of total vehicles, as to installation rates of some options, but not specific numbers.

Back then, when these cars (and others) were built, the only time that production numbers were considered was with homologation for NASCAR or similar race series cars. Think Superbird and Daytona wing cars, for example. Things were a little different in the Corvette realm of things, though. AND especially in the E-body world, lesser so in the B-body world.

The reason I was interested in '70 Monaco production figures was to see how my '70 Monaco Broiugham 4dr ht, 383 4bbl, W23 Class II 16-slot wheels, tilt/rim blow, and such might end up in "the numbers".

CBODY67

That's awfully specific . You'll eventually end up with a one of if you keep adding options.

Back then, when these cars (and others) were built, the only time that production numbers were considered was with homologation for NASCAR or similar race series cars. Think Superbird and Daytona wing cars, for example.

CBODY67

Disagree. These are mass marketed and produced products. Production numbers needed to be known for all makes and models in order to budget and plan for marketing and manufacturing. It was just as necessary to know how many 2 door Imperials were sold as it was Superbirds.

Factory shipping reports and documentation exists for some lines, mostly B bodies. Regrettably, numbers are not known, or not released and published, for all lines.

Disagree. These are mass marketed and produced products. Production numbers needed to be known for all makes and models in order to budget and plan for marketing and manufacturing. It was just as necessary to know how many 2 door Imperials were sold as it was Superbirds.

Factory shipping reports and documentation exists for some lines, mostly B bodies. Regrettably, numbers are not known, or not released and published, for all lines.

I will completely agree that ALL things about producing a vehicle are known, with regards to planned installation rates and such, at the start of model year production. Just a normal situation of building anything. BUT, except as mentioned, much of this was discarded a few years afterward, for the particular model year. Reason for that? File space was needed. Much of it went to the dumpster whenever it was necessary to be disposed of. This happened at ALL of the OEMs, not just Chrysler.

In the '60s and prior, production figures were not usually something people thought about. Unless it was a specific model or some other "race car homologation" issue. As the general economy improved, so did the installation rates of "luxury" items as power seats, power windows, cruise controls, etc. It was generally of concern as to how many Street Hemi cars were built, in which model, etc. AND how to correctly identify a "HEMI car" from a normal car on the same platform. Then came 4-speeds and TFs. Track Pak, Super Track Pak, etc. These were B/E-body cars, usually, which probably expanded things to ALL option/trim combinations for the famous "1 of ___" combinations.

In general, once the vendor bills had been paid, everybody was happy, the transportation expenses had been paid, just like any other "old bills", those files were purged as a matter of course. Any perceived "historical value" was nil, especially for the non-performance general vehicles. Unfortunately, that would probably include C-body cars, generally.

Now, there was a gentleman who had run Chrysler Historical and moved all of those "file cabinets" off-site to prevent the historical files from being destroyed, in the 1980s as Chrysler's financial situation deteriorated, THEN. I think that he and an assistant comprised the whole Chrysler Historical operation, back then?

After the earlier financial crisis was over, he moved the files back on-site and a new Chrysler Historical operation was configured. Bigger than before AND celebrated, rather then otherwise. After these accomplishments, he later retired. I believe he passed away several years ago.

In the mean time, several specific "registries" have come online. I also suspect that IF more specific production figures had been available, the Standard Book of Chrysler probably would have included them?

In the case of Buick, when it was noticed that these "purges for file space" were going on, many people emptied the dumpsters themselves, before the trash company arrived. Some was lost before they knew this was going on, but much was saved and archived. Each GM division had their own orientation on these things, with Pontiac being the first to let people know they had "items", other than the Corvette operatives.

In cases where "collectability" increased well after the particular model year of vehicles had been produced, it's a little difficult to go back and dig up the production rate information. MUCH moreso as much of that information was destroyed, years prior. Whether particular items were purged or archived might have also depended upon whom was making those decisions, back then. If a particular carline manager could have either decided to "put that stuff somewhere else, where it's safe" or "get rid of it", which can explain why some files still exist and others don't.

For many, "cars are just metal", whereas for others "cars are art", or "cars can be future collectibles, so keeping informion can be advisable".

Not to sound flaky, but just be glad that what we now have WAS saved by people with a vision to what future generations might need for various hobby activities. That many who saved items, back then, have shared them with us in varied ways/registries, etc. When the cars were built, some 40+ years ago, it was a different world, cars included. People generally bought the cars to enjoy, use, and replace in a few years. Few were bought and "put away", as some more recent ones were. Those that were, eventually were sold at auctions. Unfortunately, in the case of some Pace Car or __th Anniversary Edition Corvettes, their eventual selling price was not a very good long-term investment, especially the Silver Anniversary Editions (in particular).

IF anybody HAD every suspected the current following that C-body Chrysler products now have, back then, perhaps things might be different. I'll not speculate that all of the available information has been found, either.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Production of the 1970 Dodge Monaco 2dr hardtop came to 3,322 units for the U.S. market. Also for the U.S. market, Polara 2 door hardtops came to 11,447 and Polara Custom 3,746 door hardtops for a total of 18,515.
The Monaco 500 and Monaco Brougham were option packages in 1970 for the U.S. market. Production included in Monaco figures.
Total production for USA - 92,913 - built at Belvidere (63,112), Newark (15,080), and Windsor (14,721)
Total 1970 Dodge Polara/Monaco - 110,232 - built at Belvidere (75,288), Newark (16,536), and Windsor (18,408)

The model codes and series for USA production :
DE : Dodge Polara Special (mid-year introduction) 6 & V8 - 4dr sedan, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon
DL : Dodge Polara - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 4dr hardtop, 2dr convertible, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon
DM : Dodge Polara Custom - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 4dr hardtop
DH : Dodge Monaco - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 4dr hardtop, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon.

500 trim options on Polara 2dr hardtop and convertible and Monaco 2dr hardtop
Polara Special - slant six engine was credit option on 4dr sedan
Brougham trim option on Monaco 4dr sedan and 4dr hardtop

The model codes and series for CDN production :
DL : Dodge Polara - Fury I interior trim, except convertible - 4dr sedan, 2dr convertible, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon
DM : Dodge Polara Custom- Fury II interior trim - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon
DH : Dodge Monaco- Fury III interior trim - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 4dr hardtop, 2-st wagon, 3-st wagon
DP : Dodge Monaco 500 - Sport Fury interior trim - 4dr sedan, 2dr hardtop, 4dr hardtop

Six cylinder engine on Polara sedan, Polara Custom sedan and 2dr hardtop
Base V8 engine in all CDN market Polaras and Monacos was 318-cid V8

The Canadian Monaco used the USA Polara Custom side trim with Monaco front and rear
The Canadian Monaco 500 used the USA Monaco exterior trim with Monaco front and rear
Brougham trim option on Monaco 500 4dr sedan and 2dr & 4dr hardtop - Sport Fury Brougham interior trim
Polara convertible for CDN market was identical to USA market model. No Monaco convertibles in 1970.

Last edited:
Great information Bill - May I ask where this information can be found? That is great information!

Mark

Great information Bill - May I ask where this information can be found? That is great information!

Mark

Not on the web, unfortunately. I have photocopies of annual model year production reports for cars built in Canada and the US for the American market, 1965-1969, and model year shipment reports for car built for the American market, 1970-1973 (and some 1974).

Problem with Dodge production, there are no total production by body style by model year for 1965 to about 1975. Thus you cannot take the total figures and and delete the US market to get the Canadian market, as you can for Plymouth and Chrysler.

Total model year by assembly plants is from Wards Automotive Yearbook. Starting in 1959 Wards published model year production by state and assembly plant for the U.S. The 1959 figures were rounded off to the closest "00" but from 1960 they have exact figures. Sometime in the 1990's they switched from model year to calendar year.

Not on the web, unfortunately. I have photocopies of annual model year production reports for cars built in Canada and the US for the American market, 1965-1969, and model year shipment reports for car built for the American market, 1970-1973 (and some 1974).

Problem with Dodge production, there are no total production by body style by model year for 1965 to about 1975. Thus you cannot take the total figures and and delete the US market to get the Canadian market, as you can for Plymouth and Chrysler.

Total model year by assembly plants is from Wards Automotive Yearbook. Starting in 1959 Wards published model year production by state and assembly plant for the U.S. The 1959 figures were rounded off to the closest "00" but from 1960 they have exact figures. Sometime in the 1990's they switched from model year to calendar year.

Hi Bill,

Do you have a way to list this information on FCBO? This is great information and it would be great if you could preserve it in some capacity for future C Body owners.

Mark

Is there anywhere online that has information concerning any of our C Bodies production figures? I am looking at a 1970 Dodge Monaco 500 coupe with 440, power brakes, power steering, A/C, with bucket seats.

Missed this thread back in fall. Any photos?

Back