EFI conversion with long ram manifolds?

Furious

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it? I see Holley, FITech and others are making dual quad efi systems. I wonder how well this would work with the left and right banks being separate like the long rams are. I'm considering trying it

Has anyone tried it? I see Holley, FITech and others are making dual quad efi systems. I wonder how well this would work with the left and right banks being separate like the long rams are. I'm considering trying it

Member greazerlou had a post about this awhile back. I would be worried that the long ram tubes might cause problems with getting a consistent air/fuel mix ratio since the injection runs pretty lean to start with and there are two separate delivery systems. Like everything else, enough time on the dyno could probably get it dialed in for acceptable performance but I doubt that there would be much of a performance or economy gain if that is what you are after.

Dave

I always thought it would be cool to make a multi-point system using long rams. That would mean modifying them to add injector bungs and fuel rails, but would eliminate their inherent problems.

There was a pair modified with fuel rails and for sale on CL about 2 years ago.

If you could run two 4-cyl systems, one for each side (with their own O2 sensors and computer), then get the IACs to balance things out, it might work better than adapting a 2x4bbl system to a long-ram intake system.

The main benefits, other than visual, would be in the improved atomization of the EFI vs the 1960s carburetors, I suspect. Possibly better cold weather driveability, if that matters. Ultimate power increase? Only from the better-atomized mixture (in the carb plenum), but probably not enough to really justify the expense and calibration issues. Some 500cfm AVS2 carbs might be just as good?

PFI would be better, provided the injectors were targetted correctly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you could run two 4-cyl systems, one for each side (with their own O2 sensors and computer), then get the IACs to balance things out, it might work better than adapting a 2x4bbl system to a long-ram intake system.

The main benefits, other than visual, would be in the improved atomization of the EFI vs the 1960s carburetors, I suspect. Possibly better cold weather driveability, if that matters. Ultimate power increase? Only from the better-atomized mixture (in the carb plenum), but probably not enough to really justify the expense and calibration issues. Some 500cfm AVS2 carbs might be just as good?

PFI would be better, provided the injectors were targetted correctly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
500 AVS2's are my plan, but curious about the EFI. I did an MSD atomic on a 528 HEMI and was very pleased with how it ran. From what I understand, the dual quad EFI systems have the brains in one throttle body, and linked to the other, so they stay balanced.

500 AVS2's are my plan, but curious about the EFI. I did an MSD atomic on a 528 HEMI and was very pleased with how it ran. From what I understand, the dual quad EFI systems have the brains in one throttle body, and linked to the other, so they stay balanced.

True, but normally they are hooked to a common intake, not a split system like cross rams so I am not so sure the brain will work that way. Probably no way to tell except to set it up and try it, it would be an expensive experiment if it did not work.

Dave

True, but normally they are hooked to a common intake, not a split system like cross rams so I am not so sure the brain will work that way. Probably no way to tell except to set it up and try it, it would be an expensive experiment if it did not work.

Dave

There is a balance tube connecting the two manifolds. The MAP sensor will see the whole engine no problem.

Kevin

Dig back through older Mopar Collector's Guide. Someone injected the Long Rams on a 63 or 64 Chrysler 300 convertible that was Wicked. MCG did a great feature on it. I was curious about doing the same to my wagon too.

I know I've seen a multiport done using the long rams, I think it was on the Forward Look forum.

There is a balance tube connecting the two manifolds. The MAP sensor will see the whole engine no problem.

Kevin

The throttle body designs for dual quads put the IAC and MAP sensor in one of the two throttle bodies. If for some reason this didn't work well on with the long rams, I would think relocating the IAC and MAP sensor to the balance tube might help also.

5B818D47-18AD-4C7F-9661-17C42BDAA85E.jpeg
FBD8BEE8-7A81-497C-9F83-C5A645BAC994.jpeg
5FE0068E-A2F2-45F3-BD73-D78E9548BA92.jpeg
807CA2CA-B96C-4065-BB9F-9876BC13BA34.jpeg
C971C974-BE7D-41C1-A678-412046957E4B.jpeg
9EFEB448-FD87-4C86-B239-DB49BEFC903C.jpeg
60F72342-D3C8-490F-8CD3-9D1F7D093746.jpeg
C8D84915-499C-4E76-AB74-3D785DEB66A1.jpeg

There would need to be ONE IAC for EACH of the tbi units, but the MAP sensor might could be on the balance tube section of rubber hose. As one tbi unit controls one bank of the engine, just one IAC would not work. Each of the tbi units should already have an IAC in it.

On a "normal" 2x4bbl intake, there is a primary and secondary carb, for which one tbi would have the IAC in it. But on the Chrysler Long Ram set-up, one tbi supplies one bank, where as on a normal inline 2x4bbl, there is a shared plenum area in the intake manifold.

Just some suspicions,
CBODY67

Back