Electric furyland!

So after some wire tracing and testing and tracing circuits I've come to a strange conclusion that I could use some more help with. According to my FSM the 12v wire that feeds my voltage gauge splits at the gauge and dead ends at an accessory breaker. I'm having a little trouble find this breaker. Not sure but I think it may be gone. What I have found is another red 12gauge wire that was spliced into a switch by the p/o. I test this wire with a voltage meter and it show 12v, but will not turn on my test light. This same wire that was spliced into a switch also had aftermarket fuse attached and had a battery lead spliced into it also. With out power applied directly to this wire via battery lead nothing other that my horn works. Also when power is applied to this wire my voltage gauge drops to 0. I'm am a bit confused . Could the lack of this accessory fuse be causing my conundrum ?

One very possible location for that breaker is under the left side kick panel.

Here's the circuit breaker in question.

image.jpg

One very possible location for that breaker is under the left side kick panel.
I looked there. Didn't find anything. What's confusing me is the fact that it reads 12v but won't turn on the test light. I think they call it phantom voltage but why?

If you decide to tackle repairing the wire harness yourself, this is how I've done them using a piece of plywood and some finishing nails. This is how they build wiring harnesses in many factories and works great to repair them. Just unwrap and then change one wire at a time. If you have cut, just make that wire longer and trim to fit when you put it back in the car. BTW, Ebay is a great source for wire.

2012_1204Stuff0004.jpg

This is the dash harness for my 53 Windsor.

That's a great way to do it! Thanks. I don't think I'm gonna be able to avoid rebuilding it. Was hoping to put it off until winter. I'd like to get a few miles in the boat before the weather turns.

Something else I just figured out with this mystery red 12gauge wire, it reads 12v until I turn the key to the on position. Then...nothing.

Ok here's some more mind numbing action. I hook the factory voltage gauge back up and everything works! WTF? I'm filing this thing with tannerite! I'm over it!

Wait... Factory voltage gauge? Do you mean the ammeter (marked alternator)?

If so, yes that has to be hooked up. That gauge is hooked inline and measures current as it passes across it.

Wait... Factory voltage gauge? Do you mean the ammeter (marked alternator)?

If so, yes that has to be hooked up. That gauge is hooked inline and measures current as it passes across it.
Now ya tell me!! Lol. I didn't realize. Coming from GM, you can in hook the factory ammeter and replace it with an aftermarket! Then again it's been so long since I've had something with analog gauges! **** I don't think I've had anything with analog gauges since the early 90's come to think about it. Thanks for the help john! In all seriousness!

I bought an aftermarket 3 gauge set. Voltage,oil and temp. If remember right I need to tap into the alternator.

We're you able to crank it up?
Yea finally! I feel a bit uhm short sighted on this one. I've grown so used to digital sensors for everything it hadn't even crossed my mind. As last ditch effort I decided to put everything the way it was and she cranked over.

the extra wire with the breaker is for accessories like a convertible top switch. it would be a second wire with a ring connector on the red side of the ammeter.

In hindsight that should have more obvious thanks cat! I thought perhaps the p/o may have removed it or something. For some reason I don't even have dashboard blinker indicators . No bulbs, no wiring for them. Not sure if came came like this or he got jiffy with it!

I bought an aftermarket 3 gauge set. Voltage,oil and temp. If remember right I need to tap into the alternator.

You can grab voltage just about anywhere there's a convenient 12 volt feed that is switched on and off with the ignition switch. I tap into the accessory side of the fuse block myself.

You know... Just to be sure you know... Ammeter measures current. Voltmeter measures voltage. Two different things measured two different ways.

Back