Electric Windows (1968)

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
Working on getting my electric windows to work and found the driver’s window wires had been reversed.

The window wasn’t working. I lubed the tracks with Deep Creep and while that was running down I swapped the wires back.

The window works!

But the switch makes the window go up when you push the switch down. It goes down when pushed up.

It’s not supposed to be that way, is it?!

The other windows go up with up and down with down.

Unless it’s supposed to be wrong, I’ll put it back to being reversed.

9DB7E4AE-7FF7-4229-8FD7-A3440A83040A.jpeg

8B1F933D-36E3-4BB0-8AA5-6DDA6B4114DB.jpeg

I can’t do that due to the shape of the connector. It’s only one directional.

The picture doesn’t show it but it’s actually T shaped.

I think ross meant the wires that were cut and taped, switch them back.

EDIT - I didn't see that they'd been cut and taped. Reverse them as Detmatt says - blue to blue, and brown to brown. Use proper butt crimp connectors to make it safer.

If wires are not cut like that, you can still remove and switch them in a connector housing - the female terminals in the plastic connector can be removed by using a small jeweller's flathead to press down the terminal's retaining tab. You will see a very shallow slot in the connector body - slide the tip of the screw driver into that slot between the plastic and the terminal, and it will depress the little tab in the terminal, and release its catch on the connector housing. The terminal will then slide out of the connector.

Reset the tab and slide it ito the other slot. It will click into place.

Male terminals are squeezed together slightly to allow them to release from the connector.

It's all in the video.

959F4CB0-DEB1-4580-9D31-28F82EB46D1F.jpeg
I kept them the way they were but used proper crimp connectors.

As I wrote before, having the proper colours together reverses the switch so it’s the opposite of all the others.

Maybe I could pull the terminals and switch them another time.

On the passenger side I had to pull the regulator as it wasn’t working right.

That’s one piece of heavy metal. They sure don’t make them like this anymore.

Every so often you get a goofy motor that runs backwards.

That's probably why someone swapped the wires in the first place.

Jeff

Any suggestions to getting the darn thing back in?!

That spring is so strong it's extremely hard to move it down so I can reattach the 4 bolts.

It's at times like this one thinks how much nicer it would be to just have a window crank ...

Power it up and move the regulator where you need it with the switch to ease installation.

That’s what I thought.

I tried it but that spring puts so much pressure against the arm it wants to spring right back (it does).

The weight of the window puts enough pressure against it to balance it.

The motor works good. No broken teeth. But that spring just makes it snap back.

I just need the arm down long enough to attach the bolts.

Last edited:
Okay, so I went deeper into the motor.

There is (was) a plastic piece inside the round gear that has been shredded. (You can see the remnants on the shop towel.)
5791A403-4916-42AA-AB90-25B1518BC89E.jpeg
890F97DC-0DDF-4C50-B24E-97BAE31D39F9.jpeg
64A78862-B126-4B4B-9758-7A2AAE0D746B.jpeg

You can see how this would have fit between the round gear (triangle) and the centre part (lobes).

Does anyone have an extra one of these?

You can buy what you need on ebay:

(12) Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Power Window Motor Gear Delrin Pellet Bushing Kit | eBay

If you want to get up and running immediately, you can slice up your own pellets out of fuel line and stick them in. Can't remember if 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" does the trick. If using the fuel line, you need to clean out all that grease. You only need grease on the gear teeth, not in the center.

There are other options too. Search Chrysler power window gear on ebay and you will see all the choices.

Jeff

You can also use 1/4” nuts but the delrin works the best. There’s a thread here that’s everything you need to know about these motors. I’ll see if I can find it.

Okay, reading through the other thread I was going to use the fuel line in the hose first. (I already have that.)

I'm wondering about what kind(s) of grease I should put in, then?

I use white lithium grease in mine.

Back