Engine Paint: Chrysler Blue

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I bought VHT 126 Early Chrysler Blue Engine Paint. Did Chrysler change the color of Chrysler Engine Blue in the 1960s and take out a green tint?
VHT 126
PXL_20210303_225018932.jpg

VHT sprayed on hinge
PXL_20210303_224721160.jpg

My Valve Cover 1970 & later
PXL_20210303_224500100.jpg

I went through the same questions for my 1971 Monaco last year. See the discussions and links starting here. Another thread that I started, and to which many members helpfully contributed, should also save you some time. Lots of photos, originals, before/after, etc.

FWIW, I used the Bill Hirsch Chrysler Blue paint, two coats on top of Hirsch primer.

Last edited:
Double check that you've shaken it really really well. The first few squirts can come out almost any color. What's in the can should match the cap color. It happened to me.

Our 1970 valve covers are not that old green blue. I tried that too. Ended up with the "1972" chrysler blue. I used Tempo "Chrysler Marine Engine Blue". Much better quality and coverage than that duplication color crap.

The blue-green matches the 1966 Oodge pickup color "Desert Turquoise" color chip. I had some mixed when I ease detailing my '67 Chrysler back in the 1980s. Well before we could get the ready-made Chrysler Turquoise spray paint.

The 1970s-era Chrysler light blue can vary with the manfacturer, by observation, just as the "Chevy Blue" from some vendors was more like the darker "Ford Blue". Unless the vendor desires to go through the licensing process for an OEM-spec color, you'll probably find "one shade off" from the paints from the OEM themselves. Just an observation.

On the other hand, anybody can mix anything to get an exact match, then put it in a PreVal sprayer and have at it.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Wow that other thread is long. The 71 383 that my 70 fury came with was the 'middle blue' along with the 72 440 from the nyer I got from Mark. All the mid and late 70's truck 440's we've had are that darker blue

In my case with our '66 and '67 Chrysler 383s, those were Chrysler Turquoise. My '70 DH43N was the "light blue" (almost like "Petty Blue").

The cans pictured are the right "Chrysler Turqoise" that most big blocks came with up until the Street Hemi Orange high perf versions. It's not really a "blue", but a "blue-green" and it fades to a dirty blue which leads to confusion on used engines at times. The "Chrysler Corporate Blue" is what non performance engines went to in '70, and all engines in '72 although I have seen a few high perf 440s in factory produced shape that were orange too... So maybe left-overs?

I went through the same questions for my 1971 Monaco last year. See the discussions and links starting here. Another thread that I started, and to which many members helpfully contributed, should also save you some time. Lots of photos, originals, before/after, etc.

FWIW, I used the Bill Hirsch Chrysler Blue paint, two coats on top of Hirsch primer.

Hi ayilar. This pic helps. VHT 126 on left is wrong. Bill Hirsch is the right color (on right). Where did you source it? Thanks, Ben
resized_20200426_153834-jpg.jpg

Double check that you've shaken it really really well. The first few squirts can come out almost any color. What's in the can should match the cap color. It happened to me.

Our 1970 valve covers are not that old green blue. I tried that too. Ended up with the "1972" chrysler blue. I used Tempo "Chrysler Marine Engine Blue". Much better quality and coverage than that duplication color crap.
Agree green blue is wrong. Any pics of the Tempo Marine?

Straight from the manufacturer: Auto Restoration Supplies for Classic Cars, Antique Cars, Exotic Cars - HirschAuto.com

Here is the (anonymized) invoice that they sent to me, so that you can see what exactly I ordered and in what quantity. Note that their ordering system incorrectly implies that the paint I bought is correct for BB engines in 1973-1983 but not before; that had me befuddled for a while, but I concluded that their information was incorrect. I am glad that you agree with my assessment :)

upload_2021-3-4_19-55-6.png

Last edited:
'65 Plym Sport Fury 383 BB - Mopar Turquoises Blue - available on Amazon. DO NOT USE THE VHT paint... it's not the right color for early-mid 60's Turquoise blue.

Here's the link. It's very good paint, sprays really well, and covers excellent. Handles the exhaust manifold and engine heat like it should. I've nearly overheated my motor last year, no bubbling, no peeling. Looks like factory new.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-P41207...gine+paint&qid=1614913770&s=automotive&sr=1-4

IMG_20200331_113455050_HDR.jpg

Straight from the manufacturer: Auto Restoration Supplies for Classic Cars, Antique Cars, Exotic Cars - HirschAuto.com

Here is the (anonymized) invoice that they sent to me, so that you can see what exactly I ordered and in what quantity. Note that their ordering system incorrectly implies that the paint I bought is correct for BB engines in 1973-1983 but not before; that had me befuddled for a while, but I concluded that their information was incorrect. I am glad that you agree with my assessment :)

View attachment 443384
Thanks!!!
How did the exhaust manifold coating work out?

'65 Plym Sport Fury 383 BB - Mopar Turquoises Blue - available on Amazon. DO NOT USE THE VHT paint... it's not the right color for early-mid 60's Turquoise blue.

Here's the link. It's very good paint, sprays really well, and covers excellent. Handles the exhaust manifold and engine heat like it should. I've nearly overheated my motor last year, no bubbling, no peeling. Looks like factory new.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-P41207...gine+paint&qid=1614913770&s=automotive&sr=1-4

View attachment 443403
So the VHT126 is the right color for lawn furniture or a metal shelf or a Toyota, but not anything on a Chrysler.

So the VHT126 is the right color for lawn furniture or a metal shelf or a Toyota, but not anything on a Chrysler.
I guess you can look at it this way...

If you paint it with the VHT it will look good. Will someone come walking up with the "I'm a Chrysler GOD" t-shirt and break your balls about it? Probably not, but I have had it happen twice when I showed my car... comments about the engine color came up and how I got it correct. Mostly because in my car's era, you can see so much of the motor. So if you plan on showing it... it will matter.

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks!!!
How did the exhaust manifold coating work out?
Looks good. I’ve only put on a few hundred miles on Medina since the repaint, so it’s too early to say anything (good or bad) about long term behavior. I expect it to be great based on what I’ve read.

If you paint it with the VHT it will look good.
Correct. I’ve seen one and it does look good.

As well, note that the evidence I’ve seen (cue the pics I posted of Medina’s) suggest that often the original paint shifted toward turquoise due to aging and heating. So a turquoise tint will not look out of place at all. See this photo in particular.

I wanted to go back to the original look so I picked Hirsch, but as you can infer from the threads to which I linked earlier, it took me time to conclude that it was the ´right’ way to go.

Looks good. I’ve only put on a few hundred miles on Medina since the repaint, so it’s too early to say anything (good or bad) about long term behavior. I expect it to be great based on what I’ve read.

Correct. I’ve seen one and it does look good.

As well, note that the evidence I’ve seen (cue the pics I posted of Medina’s) suggest that often the original paint shifted toward turquoise due to aging and heating. So a turquoise tint will not look out of place at all. See this photo in particular.

I wanted to go back to the original look so I picked Hirsch, but as you can infer from the threads to which I linked earlier, it took me time to conclude that it was the ´right’ way to go.

I agree. cbarge said it well in that thread with the photo you just posted. I saw that on my motor as well. It still had the original paint on it, so it was lighter and looked more greenish from the natural oil products and however many heat cycles it went through. Now its painted the proper "shade" and we should just call it that.. a shade. As long as it has a shade of the correct color your good. Now, if you had a bright orange motor in a '65... well... that's another story. Lol.

Always love the conversations... learn something new everyday.

View attachment 443403

My IMperial - '66 440. VHT paint... It's dead on... Maybe a bad batch?

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_1110.JPG

Back