Engine paint

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well being a 69 chrysler, i was sure the engine paint was chrysler blue. Built in nov '68. Once i cleaned the intake and valve covers, if swear that paint is green. I ordered paint from jegs called chrysler green. Looks just like my engine in the ads. Ill see when it gets here.

I could swear the valve covers had never been off before. Gaskets were harder than concrete but looked like cork.

IMG_20230311_144842070.jpg

Bill may have the best engine paint. But, unless I'm navigating his site wrong he only has black paint....

'67 Dodge pickup color "Desert Turquoise" mixed by a local paint supply for me back in about 1981, matched by color chip, is what I used on my '67 Newport 383 to paint a new oil pan I got for it. At the time, only Chrysler Blue was available in spray cans or from Mopar Perf, so the mix it was. Got a PreVal sprayer and had some enamel "thinner" from Home Depot. Used Berryman's B-12 to prep the new oil pan and that paint is still there, looking good. Of course, what was mixed was acrylic enamel (OEM-spec) rather than the more inexpensive "enamel" they used for engine items back then. Kind of a "DIY approach", but it worked well.

Back then, 40+ years ago, finding a good local option was the best deal we had for things as "repro" usually applied only to some Chevy and Ford items. So it was serendipity to find an OEM exterior paint color which matched the engine paint (dang close if not exactly!). By that time, too, 25 years of engine heat had dulled the orig paint a bit, so we tried to compensate for that a bit, too. Places like Bill Hirsch and Kanter were places we saw advertised in Hemmings Motor News and basically "not close enough" to deal with for us. And, in this day and age, that might still be the case for some in the hobby. In more current times, finding a local good paint supply that can mix "single stage" acrylic enamel might be a trick, too.

Just my experiences, no more, no less.

CBODY67

I have always had good luck with Dupicolor and VHT engine enamels for my engines. Unfortunately, I am a 70 guy. Nothing old enough for the older turquoise.

20201011_185141.jpg

20201011_185148.jpg

100_1698.jpg

rsz_20160414_201129.jpg

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

Ive got the chrysler green coming from another place too so ill see which i prefer
Hirsch was a running paint for me. Despite Light coats on an intake manifold, it puddled in runner valleys and head bolt areas.
I used Chrysler Blue 1970 and later, rather than Turquoise. Again, hope your experience is better. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hirsch was a running paint for me. Despite Light coats on an intake manifold, it puddled in runner valleys and head bolt areas.
I used Chrysler Blue 1970 and later, rather than Turquoise. Again, hope your experience is better. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Ill let you know. I didnt really like the green and thought the blue too bright. But its not for show. Im retired and keeps me occupied. Ill paint whichever looks the best. Im only doing the top parts. Everything else is black. I see i may need a radiator recore but i also saw some new ones for about $159.

Hopefully ill have it on the road this summer and drive down your way. I was born in Richmond but grew up in Goochland.

Back