Engine rebuild

RGORHAM29

Reaction score
Hi folks. Ready to have my 318 LA rebuilt. 86,000 original miles. It ran (before I dissembled to remove from engine bay) however it leaked oil from every gasket. Now a new problem - the local reputable engine builder near me no longer does it (passed away from a heart attack). So - few questions. Any good engine builders near Milford MA/495? if not, any luck doing this at home (without machining)? Last - am i better off getting a reman from Carolina Engines Rebuilt Engines and Rebuilt Motors from CME or Jasper?

look forward to the opinions/advice. Thx

From another thread, a website devoted to Poly 318s. Could not get the link to work, but everything worked when I went there directly. Probably find it in Google.

there is one in Fitchburg mass . pk engine rebuilders paul kruss

Ok. Spoke with Paul Kraus from PK Machine. He is located in Fitchburg (near the high school football field). Did some research and he truly is the go to guy around. Motor Trend even did an article on home too in 2016. Jobs in Cars: A Look at PK Machine

Super friendly guy, Honest, upfront and educated me on some fine points of what he does. Willing to give a tour of the shop too. Top notch for sure….and you get what you pay for, that being said. He says for him to do a complete rebuild (machining, planing, balancing, jetting, some improvements to take on today’s ethanol gas, etc, etc) even for a 318 LA will be in the neighborhood of $10k ready to install the car With warranty. He takes over with full control and fixes everything as he tests. 6-7k for an “erector set” package with everything machined, tagged, ready for me to do the installation myself. +12-15k if I want to give it more HP.

he was upfront about it and wanted me to be aware. no doubt I will get a solid engine, but for 10K I think of all the other things I can get too. My question to all - Is this the going rate for engine rebuilds?

Another shop (High Octane) also referred me to Springfield Crank and Engine. I will check them out too.

lots to think about.

Not to discount that that shop is one of the best around, but bragging rights of how much money you might spend on a motor rebuild can be similar to bragging rights to how much power it produces, with all due respect. The other key question is just what YOU really want to have when it's all said and done? Remember, too, that a "rebuilt motor" MIGHT add a little bit of additional value to the car when it is sold, but a $10K motor is no better than a $3K motor, in that respect.

Now . . . DO go for the tour and use it as an educational experience. Check out the other shops, too. THEN you can get a better idea of what involved and what is gotten "for the money".

On the other hand, $10K might buy you a newer car that might need some work, if that might matter. You can probably get a crate engine or reman short/long block that can do just as good of a job for less money, too.

As far as machine work goes, it's more about labor time than the size of the motor. Where engine size becomes operative is when you start to buy parts and such. Which is why some mass rebuilders can offer similar items for less money, just be careful of WHICH one it is, by observation, and which market they might be targeting. Kind of like Jasper and other similar rebuilders tend to target the better private repair shops and such. When I looked at Jasper (about 15 years ago), their prices seemed a bit high, by comparison, but they also send every little thing needed to complete the job (i.e., belts, hoses, clamps) correctly. Several different things to consider.

On the parts side of things, DO investigate the brands and such each rebuilder might use. As in no need for forged pistons in a street car, for example. Look for OEM-level quality in all areas, as a benchmark of sorts compared to what the shop might use. Might be good to upgrade to better gaskets and such, for a little more cost. Do spec that you want a roller timing chain set, too.

DO be a good comparison shopper so that you get the best value for what you desire to end up with.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back