Evolution of the tailgate on 69-73 wagons

Phil64

Reaction score
Hi all,
After having seen several wagons of the 69-73 generation I wonder about the tailgate: it seems that the tailgate has exactly the same shape but in 69 for example you can see an external hinge. And I don't see a handle! On my 1973 Monaco wagon the hinge is hidden and there is a handle. What I find surprising is that the shape of the tailgate is the same...
Who can say more about this change? 2 ways or 3 ways tailgate ? And when did it happen?
The attached photos are a 69 T&C and my 73 Monaco . Seems it's the same rear bumper except back-up light shape

s-l1602.jpg

69T&C1.jpg

On the '69-'71 cars, you have to lower the glass before opening the tailgate. The release handle for the gate is inside. It's still a two way gate. The redesign in 1972 allowed you to swing open the gate without having to lower the glass first, and it cleaned up the look of the car not having the not-so-pretty hinge sticking out. There are a lot of differences between the two designs and almost nothing interchanges between them.

Jeff

Even early run to late 69 and 70. Early 69 gravity holds the top hinge down and a screw ultimately holds the lower pivot point together. Sometime late 69 and 70 the top hinge has a roll pin that goes through the top hinge/ pivot

Seems Plymouth may have been the exception to the the redesign- my 73 has a visible hinge & needs the window lowered to open the gate

Seems Plymouth may have been the exception to the the redesign- my 73 has a visible hinge & needs the window lowered to open the gate
It's strange, the advertisement of marko's message indicates that all station wagons have the dual tail gate (in 1972)

Back