Export Formal?

streetmachine

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is correct and if any are left out there if it is true?

export.jpg

export.jpg

export.jpg

Last edited:
Posting a screen grab produces a terrible image.
Even after expanding the image it was still too fuzzy to read what's there.
How about a link to that page?

we have very few formals overhere in europe from new. They sold bad and were not as reliable as the previous cars. Lack of mechanics who knew how to handle them (back in the day) were another problem. Out of my head I would guess I know 20-25 Formals which sold new here but they are nearly all in rough shape and rusted out.

Carsten

An Export-spec Formal, or any other '70s Mopar, will have an "I" all by itself in the fender tag...Most cars will have a single "U" (US market) or a "C" (Canada). The "I" means "International Sales". The "I" will also appear on cars ordered by US servicemen overseas, whether the car was delivered overseas OR Stateside.

That French site referenced is really a pretty good site overall for all kinds of information pertaining not just to Mopars, but seemingly every car built!

Thank you again. I was just curious more so if they are still out there? I'm assuming they didn't have the Lean Burn being an export hence the power increase of the North American one? Anyways, I stumbled across it and it raised my curiosity.

... The "I" will also appear on cars ordered by US servicemen overseas, whether the car was delivered overseas OR Stateside.

In that scenario, I've found that most of the cars code "E" for export. I have seen a car code for California emissions with an I.

My service manual shows ALL 1978 Formal's had Lean Burn. There were a few made without
a Catalytic Converter for Canada and export. I assume the same for 1977 Formal's. The early 1976 Formal's didn't have Lean Burn but whenever Ma Mopar introduced the Lean Burn during the production run the rest had Lean Burn that year except the Canada and export cars and some Federal agencies.

Last edited:
In that scenario, I've found that most of the cars code "E" for export. I have seen a car code for California emissions with an I.

Never seen an "E". I have seen many cars with the "I", though. Again, you could have an "I" on a car ordered by a US serviceman while stationed overseas, and have the car delivered to a US dealership in the States. What your example likely is. I'd like to see a pic of a fender tag with "E", as I can't find that mentioned in either GG's book or a couple of other sources I know of.

Unless there is an "E" as the first character of the Special Order number, perhaps? But a stand-alone "E"?

Last edited:
An Export-spec Formal, or any other '70s Mopar, will have an "I" all by itself in the fender tag...Most cars will have a single "U" (US market) or a "C" (Canada). The "I" means "International Sales". The "I" will also appear on cars ordered by US servicemen overseas, whether the car was delivered overseas OR Stateside.

That French site referenced is really a pretty good site overall for all kinds of information pertaining not just to Mopars, but seemingly every car built!

Patrick, a couple of thoughts....I was thinking VON not the stand alone letter. Thank you.

However....I have yet to come across a '71+ Jefferson built car that even has the U, C or I on the tag. That makes me wonder how export Chryslers were coded. Did they carry the E, or another letter, in the VON in lieu of the I code to indicate an Export car?

Never seen an "E". I have seen many cars with the "I", though. Again, you could have an "I" on a car ordered by a US serviceman while stationed overseas, and have the car delivered to a US dealership in the States. What your example likely is. I'd like to see a pic of a fender tag with "E", as I can't find that mentioned in either GG's book or a couple of other sources I know of.

Unless there is an "E" as the first character of the Special Order number, perhaps? But a stand-alone "E"?

Hi Pat,

the "E" is the beginning of the VON on the export cars

Carsten

Back