Fastest C body List

LeadSled

Reaction score
Does anyone have a current up to date list of the fastest C bodies? Trying to push my 66 into the 11’s and wanting to see any area I’d be able to get. So far best I’ve been able to get was a 1.75 60’ with a 8.03 1/8 that calculates out to about a 12.50.

IMG_1346.jpeg

thanks dave.

It did low 12's with street meats when first built nearly 20 yrs ago. i'll never know know under my ownership.

Top speed? calculates over 180mph. never tried on street tires in its life that i am aware.

i do know ...shhh .. it'll do 150mph (on GPS, as speedo was pegged) without breaking a sweat. thats when i pissed myself (driving on "S" rated tires) last summer and redline was still +2,000 rpm away (i think ... i was bawlin' like a little baby needing a diaper change and couldnt see tach:))

im pretty sure it'd still be, in its 100% street-legal form, up there on list pretty good even now. mechanically it remains just as Henry built it two decades ago.

i am sure there are 1,320 footers that are faster. But, at like a Bonneville, with correct tires, i'd rate her up there with any "C-mammal" that ever existed.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Bill's old "Flying Whale".

I had a friend with a 69 Sport Fury fully loaded with options etc.,pull 12.7, with a very built 440. 4000 + pounds...Just to give you an idea of possibilities

Yes that list hasn’t been updated in 11 years as far as I’m aware. I’m wanting to do a new updated list
well, #12 hasn't changed, except it never was 950 HP. i think that meant 950 CFM carb (corrected - "HP" was (is?) the Holley brand for racing carbs.)

In 2005, it weighed in during its runs at ~4,000 lbs (w/o driver).

whale 21.jpg
whale 22.jpg
whale 9~2.jpeg

If to be on a "new" list, new data is needed, there will be none coming for the Flyin' Whale (its "retired" from that kinda stuff).

So, if it drops off/doesn't make the list, it's cool, l get it :)

good luck if you take on an update.

Last edited:
Mine may not make the list, but with a little additional 175 h.p shot it is faster than most people think.

20230527_111409.jpg

13.45 on H 70/15 bias ply tires. ‘68 Sport Fury with a pump gas 520”, automatic & 3.73 gears.
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1452.jpeg
IMG_0118.jpeg
IMG_0117.jpeg

Does anyone have a current up to date list of the fastest C bodies? Trying to push my 66 into the 11’s and wanting to see any area I’d be able to get. So far best I’ve been able to get was a 1.75 60’ with a 8.03 1/8 that calculates out to about a 12.50.

View attachment 652275
I don't know the magic combo these days... We had shoo the dinosaurs off the track the last time I ran...

With that said, what is the weight of your car? That's the big (pun intended) issue is always weight and a C-body isn't light. To paraphrase the late Bob Glidden quote, "If you throw it up in the air and it comes down, it's too heavy".

The rule of thumb was always 100lbs off equals a tenth in the quarter.

I don't know the magic combo these days... We had shoo the dinosaurs off the track the last time I ran...

With that said, what is the weight of your car? That's the big (pun intended) issue is always weight and a C-body isn't light. To paraphrase the late Bob Glidden quote, "If you throw it up in the air and it comes down, it's too heavy".

My 66 was 4,002 with me in it and almost full tank of gas. Interior is gutted, my race seat and then back seat is still in it, really just no carpet, headliner, all ac and power steering has been deleted. I have a # matching 65 that’s the exact same options as my 66 and it’s 4,620 with me in it

My ‘68 Sport Fury was 3,950 without me and with 1/3 of a tank of gas and a small toolbox in the trunk.

never tried the 1/4 or 1/8 mile on my 65 880 rag , but it would pull 6k in second at 120 mph , and nose up when i pulled it into drive and take off , speedo was done at 120 , so it wouldn't show it's top top end speed . but this was done with a car with 130 k mile on the 383 727 with twin fours inline a solid cam with full length tube headers throw a 2 1/2 exhaust system . 225/70x15 t/a's on 8 1/2 american turq thrusts , about 27 tall .

DSC08125.JPG

DSC08184.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

My 66 was 4,002 with me in it and almost full tank of gas. Interior is gutted, my race seat and then back seat is still in it, really just no carpet, headliner, all ac and power steering has been deleted. I have a # matching 65 that’s the exact same options as my 66 and it’s 4,620 with me in it
With gas at a little over 6lbs per gallon, take about 16-17 gallons out to lighten the car 100lbs. There's a tenth.

How streetable does the car need to be? I see wipers... That wiper motor is about 10lbs and I'll bet the rest of the wiper bits are another 10. There's 20lbs so, 2 hundredths. Back seat is at least 30lbs, so 3 hundredths.

Heater core, condenser, fan motor and box still in? Another 50lbs there... 5 hundredths.

There's 2 tenths for you...

Back