FCA's Marchionne is in Grave health and has been replaced by Mike Manley

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems like a serious turn of events for Sergio who went into the hospital for surgery on one of his shoulders and apparently they found something more serious:

Fiat Chrysler picks Jeep boss as CEO as Marchionne's health worsens

Overall, he has done a pretty good job with Chrysler despite some of his later moves putting Italian brands ahead of the Chrysler/Dodge brands in terms of product development and spending, imo. He did have some life long health related habits that may have affected this outcome.

Last edited:
They have been suspiciously tight lipped about these so called complications from shoulder surgery. They really must have mucked it up!

A friend of mine is a trainee of doctors in bone/ligament related surgeries. He has told me several times that chain smokers, such as Sergio, often just do not heal very well if at all. Infections develop, blood clots and circulation issues abound. Sergio stopped smoking after a lifetime of it last year, but maybe not soon enough.

Still hoping for a decent outcome though, even though it may take a lot of effort and time, often years. He deserves a rest and some time to feel good about his accomplishments in life and helping keep people in this country working when times were grim in 2008.

Seems like he was set to retire last year? But he didn't for some reason? Wasn't Manley the one who had been chosen to replace him back then?

He might have done as much as Iacocca did to get Chrysler back from the brink, but some of his later orientations toward combining with GM and such just didn't make good sense, to me. But he was apparently nudged by the FCA-owning family? Once again, when Chrysler was good, they made money, which others wanted/needed to fund their diminished brands. Sergio walked into this deal with little front money, as I recall, and then got things unmired from what Daimler and Cerberus had mucked up.

Initially, they were taking USA brands and putting Italian sheet metal and names on them. Now, time for reversal? I might be a little narrow-minded, but if it doesn't have torsion bars/leaf springs, it's not "real", BUT as long as "The Chrysler Feel" and light-on-its-feet chassis dynamics are there, I'll adapt. Chrysler seats always did fit me better than any other car's seats did.

CBODY67

A friend of mine is a trainee of doctors in bone/ligament related surgeries. He has told me several times that chain smokers, such as Sergio, often just do not heal very well if at all. Infections develop, blood clots and circulation issues abound. Sergio stopped smoking after a lifetime of it last year, but maybe not soon enough.

Still hoping for a decent outcome though, even though it may take a lot of effort and time, often years. He deserves a rest and some time to feel good about his accomplishments in life and helping keep people in this country working when times were grim in 2008.

I, myself, thought blood clot/circulation issues first. Infection, second. Malignancy, third. This order based on surgery in Italy.

I just had a friend, who I had known since 1998, die in the Philippines from complications due to hip replacement surgery. Since there are no hospitals in the country, save maybe one in Makati, that are good I knew that he mostly died from a staph infection that they couldn't deal with. He should have flown over to Bangkok where the facilities are top notch.

I was thinking lymphoma. Often first noticed as shoulder pain. Perhaps confirmed after shoulder surgery.

Very unfortunate news and hopefully recovery is quick and complete. Possible stroke maybe? Manley was who many were hoping would be given the nod as he is a Ram/Jeep guy through and through. Hopefully Manley continues to support the Brands and Dealers in North America.

IMO, he was a lot better than Robert Eaton and Bob Lutz, who sold out to Daimler Benz and started all the problems. I bet he would have stood up to Kirk Kerkorian.

Hope he gets better!

I was thinking lymphoma. Often first noticed as shoulder pain. Perhaps confirmed after shoulder surgery.
I believe you nailed it. Probably advanced, too.

The company said in a statement that "unexpected complications arose while Mr. Marchionne was recovering from surgery and that these have worsened significantly in recent hours."

"As a consequence, Mr. Marchionne will be unable to return to work,"

Sad news, wishing him well, and a chance to reflect on what he accomplished, as Steve said.
I looked at a 2008 Jeep GC in early 2009 did not buy because economy was is such a mess, glad I did not because my trucks crankshaft broke less than a month later.
Jeep was a POS compared to the 2011 we have now.
Bunch of cast off rejected German pieces made cheap and recouping R&D money. He really did polish a turd up and make it profitable again.

In today’s Freep the “winding down of Chrysler and Dodge brands” quote bugs me. Although it’s been pretty obvious FCA has no interest in the brands it’s hard to see in print. No I’m not moving from a Charger to an Alfa. More like a BMW. They still get automobiles.

That was the first thought that ran across my mind until I read the word "complication", a term I would not use to describe "lymphoma".
This morning, I hear he is in a coma, and has been for a couple days now with no sign of improvement. He is in a hospital in Switzerland. And the hospital is being very secretive on the details for some reason. His family is at his side including his two sons.

That was the first thought that ran across my mind until I read the word "complication", a term I would not use to describe "lymphoma".
This morning, I hear he is in a coma, and has been for a couple days now with no sign of improvement. He is in a hospital in Switzerland. And the hospital is being very secretive on the details for some reason. His family is at his side including his two sons.

Well, here, it is called HIPAA. That means if the wife asks me how the husbands exam went I can't tell her unless I have explicit permission from the husband. The hospital cannot legally give out any information in the U.S. without explicit permission. I'm sure the Swiss are working the same way.

For example back in February I diagnosed a woman with a very probably pituitary tumor pressing on her optic chiasma resulting in visual field loss and an overall dimming of visual contrast. I tried to explain to her what I suspected without frightening her unduly. She was to call her PPO and have a MRI scheduled to scan that region. Six weeks later her daughter was in to pick something up and I asked her how her mother did. She said "did what". Mother didn't go so all I could tell the daughter was to get on Mom's case as per me immediately. Three months later Mom walked in and saw my face where upon she apologized for not going right away. Denial. Turns out the growth, as I expected, was benign and had to be removed surgically. Vision cleared.

Last edited:
Well there is more to this I am told by the rumor mill. These thoughts crossed my own mind, but for those of you who probably aren't hearing this story outside of metro Detroit...

1) Plea deal points to widening UAW scandal

This person's direct report was the CEO

2)
Ex-UAW official pleads guilty, agrees to cooperate in corruption scandal

As part of the agreement, the 57-year-old acknowledged before U.S. District Judge Paul Borman in Detroit that she violated labor laws, and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution's case against other union and FCA officials.

3) We may be known for ruin-****, but Metro Detroit has a 1st class network of hospitals. One need not go to Switzerland for shoulder surgery.

4) Obviously no one knows private medical information, but comas can be medically induced.

5) What I'm hinting at has been swirling for years. Happy to be proven wrong, but I'll tell you that no one makes comparisons to Iacocca, for whom many still have a very high regard.

Last edited:
just a little swamp draining, nothing to see here. just add em to the list of resignations. c ya. MAGA!

Somewhat to your point, these corruption charges had been gathering dust for a long time under a previous DOJ. Suddenly the case has momentum.

Back