FFI Strut Rods/Swaybar

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I think that I am going to have to replace my strut bars for my 65 Polara. When I was taking them apart I noticed that they are bent. I have two sets and both were bent ( I was thinking that maybe they should be bent but I don't know...) That being said, If I need to replace my strut Rods FFI is saying that I would have to replace the Sway bar. I see the benefits of going to a larger sway bar but I want to know if there is any modifications that I need to make to the car when installing it. I have the factory sway bars on both of my subframes with bad/snapped sway bar links. So I was going to have to figure out a solution for that anyways. Should I be looking for other sources for a strut bar/swaybar?

Also, if I will replace/rebuild everything else in the suspension would it be smart to replace the torsion bars? If so where would be a smart place to get a pair.

Thanks

Eric

There's a reason why their bent, the end of the sway bar is bolted to them if you have one. And that's why both sets are equally as bent. A heavier sway bar will bend them even more. Just take them to a shop and have them straightened but it will occur again. The sway bar should have never terminated where it does but obviously there was no room on the lower A-arm to mount them, it's just too crowded with the way the strut bars are mounted. This is usually an indication of torsion bars that can't support the weight of the car properly anymore and twist too much when going over bumps. A good indicator is how far the torsion bar adjusters are screwed in. Replace the torsion bars, straighten the strut rods and install new end rubbers. An alignment will be required.

Last edited:
New stut rod bushings for front after you straighten them, sway bar links. Don't know if I would replace torsion bar if nothing wrong, just thinking of add cost.

FYI I would put the rear sway bar on your wish list. One of the best improvements I added to my '66 300.

So, just what does "bent" look like? My strut rods are both bent, and I figured it was either from a bad trip behind a tow truck, or from the fairly immovable object that it encountered at some point. Since the sway bar attaches pretty far back on the strut rod, it doesn't seem like it would be particularly prone to bending - but the bend is easy to see even in this cruddy pic:
235_70_16_V45-21 by clair_davis, on Flickr

I'm about to get the subframe straightened out at a frame shop, and will do the front suspension at that time as well. I really don't know as much about this front end as I'd like... All my A-body experience don't mean squat here...

Clair

Back