Fin Friday

Toolmanmike

Staff member
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's Fin Friday! Show off your favorite fin car. I just caught this one on BookFace and had to share. I'm not a huge fan of green but this just works!

desoto fin.jpg

Last edited:
In many cases, it seemed to me that the DeSotos were some of Chrysler Corp's best-balanced designs. Use of color, use of chrome, and shape. Thanks for sharing!

CBODY67

For some reason, the '59 Buicks always reminded me of the face of The Penguin on "Batman". Must have been the "eyebrows" on that character?

I wish there was a tail end photo of this one.

fin.jpg

To me, one of the geniuses of the middle and late 1950s car designs was their (really) basic and simple shapes adorned with splashes of color surrounded by tasteful chrome (used as a color divider, where applicable), as in the Windsor above. Those shapes were generally easy to produce and the cost of the chrome and paint was not that much additional to make things look really spiffy, neat, and desirable. Even classy, too, depending upon how the two/three-tones and chrome were done. Vehicles which were exciting to see and be seen in!

Thanks for sharing these great pictures!
CBODY67

Gotta post my favorite Forward Look custom, Clif Inman's '57, built by Joe Wilham back in the late 50's. This car is still around, having been restored in the 80's.

1657375578924.png

How about a 57 Sweptside? They used station wagon 1/4's on those.

57 Sweptside.jpg

Speaking of fins... I was just at the local park walking me and the dog and this song came on the radio on the way home....

I saw Winfield at the Syracuse Nationals last year. Doing pretty good for 95 years old!
Have you spoken to Mr. Winfield?
I saw one of those reality TV car shows a few years ago and he was still working on custom cars, very amazing!

Speaking of fins... I was just at the local park walking me and the dog and this song came on the radio on the way home....

There are strange coincidences.

Back