Finally Converting the Lean-Burn: Final Checklist

Thank you @70bigblockdodge , I appreciate the info. I may get a pre-lean burn thermoquad and send him that, but I am also trying to find the most time-efficient option. I purchased this car to be my school car, so now that school has started, I am hoping to get it running soon. Seeing Holleys shipping dates (IN FEBRUARY!), I am very tempted to get the Thermoquad, but I know the rebuild could take quite a while as well. However, I am leaning more in that direction after seeing how expensive and limited the Holley collection is for spreadbore intakes.

Thank you @70bigblockdodge , I appreciate the info. I may get a pre-lean burn thermoquad and send him that, but I am also trying to find the most time-efficient option. I purchased this car to be my school car, so now that school has started, I am hoping to get it running soon. Seeing Holleys shipping dates (IN FEBRUARY!), I am very tempted to get the Thermoquad, but I know the rebuild could take quite a while as well. However, I am leaning more in that direction after seeing how expensive and limited the Holley collection is for spreadbore intakes.

Before I started using MSD ignition systems I found that the electronic ignition system including the distributor from a 73-75 Mopar was bulletproof. Install it, set the timing and forget about it. No other adjustments needed for years. Also a 73-75 Mopar TQ works great too. I would find one and rebuild it or you can send it to a rebuilder. The other choice is an Eddie 1406 as mentioned in previous posts. I have used all of those combinations with tons and tons of trouble free mileage. The only problem I ever had was trying to get that stupid Lean Burn system to work correctly.

I tried getting the TQ on my 77 New Yorker 440 (76,000 km) replaced with a 650 cfm Holley as advised by a mechanic shop that dealt with old race cars and current vehicle issues. My dad (76 year old retired grand master tech/original owner) had already deactivated the EGR when he had it. The pinging was worse with the Holley and the power was reduced, so I got them to switch it back. Although the car didn't seem to have these problems when my dad gave it to me and I drove it between provinces about 6 years ago without any indication of trouble (there is about a 1000 ft. elevation reduction where I live), it sat at that same shop for a month to fix some minor Veh. Inspection insurance requirements. And then it went to another shop for a day to get the muffler replaced and a request to fix the timing/power loss. Power loss was even worse after they worked on it (they said it should get better next summer when there is less humidity !!??). AND so I parked her in the garage and didn't realize until the next summer that one of them stole my cruise control !! I tried cleaning the carb and replaced the usual pieces with a kit, then tried replacing the carb myself with one of the local Mopar club's parts inventory (replacing was worse, and his was much dirtier than my original and tough to clean, so I was convinced I had a good carb). I tried getting the timing adjusted again with another shop a couple years later that said they had experience working on old cars. Still no improvement. So, now 3 different mechanic shops have declared fixing the problem, me paying for their work/time, only to find out it was in pretty much the same state. These cars are not common where I live, but we do have a lot of old collector cars (many are not OEM, though and I want to keep mine that way). So, the next time my dad came out for a short visit pre-COVID, we adjusted the timing (it's not exactly as spec'd on the car sticker). But it still burns quite rich (stings the eyes !) and had overheated once in 30+ Celcius temps the year dad and I worked on it. I changed the thermostat just in case but temp gauge still rises too high. So, I switched to premium fuel and that seemed to reduce the pinging somewhat last summer. Makes me nervous to take it out for too long a ride though with the overheating issue. I also noticed end of this summer that my windshield wipers suddenly don't move (I checked the fuses). Anyway, if anyone reading has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Dad is still not flying, and I prefer to troubleshoot in person. It's kinda funny - he makes me do the work while he talks me through it, enjoying the privilege of old age ! Fun dad and daughter time !

As I learned via Uncle Tony's Garage videos, the Summit-brand 4bbls also have annular discharge primary venturis, which came from the orig Ford 4bbl of about 1958 or so. Definitely a good price for a lot of features!

CBODY67

Back