Finally Found a Good One (I Think)

Every time I look at this thing I like it more. I just wish it was May instead of November. Going into storage Tuesday.I wish I had built a bigger shop!:BangHead:

The only things I really would like to add is a proper set of mirrors,a proper thumbwheel AM/FM radio, a set of correct road wheels and a sport hidden headlight grille. Not asking for much eh?:lol:

You want it the way you want it, I love the look of the sport hidden light grill.:thumbsup:

Best way to find out about the mirror is to check for part numbers and see if they match. Physically they look very similar. And you’re correct @Samplingman the Fury’s mirror mounts on top of the door rather then on the side like the Dodges, Chryslers or Imperials.
However, I just can’t imagine Chrysler making a mirror specific to the Plymouth’s and not cheaping out; using the same mirror across the whole body line

You want it the way you want it, I love the look of the sport hidden light grill.:thumbsup:
I know.Has anyone done this swap and know if the center section of the grille is the same on both?

merge_from_ofoct.jpg

Up in the air 1 day before going to sleep for the winter.Car is even more solid now that I have gone over it from underneath.Worst thing is the oil leaks from the engine.Easy fix in the spring.Can't wait.

DSCN2578.JPG

DSCN2580.JPG

I know.Has anyone done this swap and know if the center section of the grille is the same on both?

View attachment 332091
The chrome bumper is the same, everything inside is different. When I changed mine I had a hard time deciding between the 1971 and the 1970 since both years use the same loop type chrome bumper and the hood fit is the same. I ended up buying both '70 and '71 before eventually deciding to stick with '70. I did however use '71 head light buckets which have the required cutouts to mount headlight washers. The washers are a maybe in the future add on.

Well, my baby is in storage and gone for the winter.I finally got it running really well and discovered something about old cars with points ignition.I decided to try and get it running better before changing carburetors so I went thru all the steps.The idle was set way to low and the choke was hanging up.I washed the carb out with Seafoam spray and bumped the idle to around 750 RPM and the engine was quite a bit happier but still stumbling and not totally happy.I was in the process of doing a bunch of different checks and put my meter on the battery to test voltage.It was 17.98...not good.I looked over all the connections and then got a BWD voltage regulator from CarQuest. After installing it and making sure it was grounded I started the car back up. Amazing difference....it literally lit off instantly, settled down and ran perfectly! Around 20" vacuum and no skips.The only other thing I did was replace a couple of vacuum hoses and unplug the carb bowl vent.So all the rigamarole with the other carb was totally unnecessary ...oh well, live and learn.
The drive over to the storage building was 18 miles and was really fun.Car ran great, but the suspension was very "floaty" and took a little getting used too.I think one of my exhaust manifolds has a crack in it and 1 of the top latches is broken and kept coming loose.Other wise a great drive on a beautiful sunny 50 degree day in Maine! Gone 'til spring...time to start gathering parts.

DSCN2585.JPG

DSCN2587.JPG

DSCN2588.JPG

The center section is not the same. You’ll have to source the motor, hidden headlight buckets, headlight covers, grille, and grille surround. Thankfully they are usually sold in 1 whole package.

dont forget the headlight door motor relay

383HP 4 speed
20180210_120652-1-1_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I have decided to resurrect this old thread so I can continue the story of my 1970 Fury convertible. I finally found some correct mirrors for it (thanks to MartyMopar) at Len Dawsons Deception Pass Motors.$275 shipped for the pair...pricey, but worth it IMHO.He has more if someone is looking.They were packed in 1982 newspaper...interesting.
I have also picked up a new set of 6 leaf springs from St.Louis Spring Co. and a set of KYB shocks.My shop should be cleared of building materials in a couple of weeks and I am going to drag the poor thing out and revive her. Since I bought this car I have driven it less than 150 miles...pretty damn sad.That is going to change very soon.
Does anybody have any ideas on removing the yellow strip without damaging the chrome?It was a "made in Canada" sticker on both mirrors.Thanks

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Capture.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

Last edited:
Back