Firm Feel Steering

Rooster34

Reaction score
Hey guys trying to figure out what the hell the pot connector kit is from firm feel. I need a new steering box so I figured I would go with these guys as I've heard good things. Supposedly they discontinued the pot connector kit and I just can't seem to find any online, I guess maybe because I don't know what the hell I'm looking for or if there is another name for it. Any pics or where I could find one would be super helpful! Thanks!

Roost

Firm Feel has always been helpful to me. Did someone on the phone tell you they couldn't help with the Steering Coupler? I am unfamiliar with the term "pot". Perhaps rephrasing the question would help.
steering coupler.jpg

Firm Feel has always been helpful to me. Did someone on the phone tell you they couldn't help with the Steering Coupler? I am unfamiliar with the term "pot". Perhaps rephrasing the question would help.
View attachment 492644
I sent an email with the part numbers I needed and they said they discontinued the pot connector kit and they said that I may be able to find one somewhere else online. So yeah i have no idea what the pot connector kit is as that is what they labeled it as, see picture.

IMG_20211020_211503.jpg

Hey guys trying to figure out what the hell the pot connector kit is from firm feel. I need a new steering box so I figured I would go with these guys as I've heard good things. Supposedly they discontinued the pot connector kit and I just can't seem to find any online, I guess maybe because I don't know what the hell I'm looking for or if there is another name for it. Any pics or where I could find one would be super helpful! Thanks!

Roost
Is this what you are looking for?

Mopar Steering Column Coupler Rebuild Kit Roadrunner Cuda Challenger GTX Dart | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Or is it this?

More Information for LARES 220

dscn1380-jpg.jpg

All of the rebuild kits I have used end up being repackaged dorman units. Most of the time if your old one was sealed from new it will be in pretty good shape. Take it apart gently, you may need to reuse some parts, as the after market parts are sometimes different size.
Get one of the wire retainers for reassembly, very helpfull.
There might be a better rebuild kit out there, but I haven't received it yet. Clean it up well and grease it up, make sure you install the sliders correctly, that has ben a common problem I find in the coupler
Watch out for the little pin that retains the sliders, just under the rubber cap on top side. Use a service manual.

The top coupler kit you show is the part number I sent. You can pick up at local parts store.

All of the rebuild kits I have used end up being repackaged dorman units. Most of the time if your old one was sealed from new it will be in pretty good shape. Take it apart gently, you may need to reuse some parts, as the after market parts are sometimes different size.
There might be a better rebuild kit out there, but I haven't received it yet. Clean it up well and grease it up, make sure you install the sliders correctly, that has ben a common problem I find in the coupler
Watch out for the little pin that retains the sliders, just under the rubber cap on top side. Use a service manual.

I ended up reusing the shoes as they weren't worn and the old ones were obviously a better piece than the replacements. Same for the pins.

Honestly, if I had taken mine apart first, I never would have bought the kit. I would have cleaned and greased it up, then installed a new cover and gasket.

IMHO, the spring clip is a must.

s-l1600.jpg

There are some NOS kits out there, but they are very pricey in comparison and I'm sure the Dorman kit will work just fine.

So yes the pot connector kit is the steering coupler rebuild kit.

As far as I know that is still all factory sealed, should I just plan on doing what @Big_John did and upgrade to the spring clip?

I guess the question now is can I find one for a 65 Fury with power steering

I ended up reusing the shoes as they weren't worn and the old ones were obviously a better piece than the replacements. Same for the pins.

Honestly, if I had taken mine apart first, I never would have bought the kit. I would have cleaned and greased it up, then installed a new cover and gasket.

IMHO, the spring clip is a must.

View attachment 492784

There are some NOS kits out there, but they are very pricey in comparison and I'm sure the Dorman kit will work just fine.

Does this spring clip fit 65 c bodies with power steering

Does this spring clip fit 65 c bodies with power steering
Good question... As far as I know, the coupler has to be the one that's 3" long for the spring clip to fit. So, I don't know if any available will fit the stock '65 Fury as I see the listings start at 1966.

So, I don't know.

Some info on these. I know, it's a '69 TSB listing, but go down to 69-19-4 and read through that for the reasoning behind the clip. The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "1969 PLYMOUTH, CHRYSLER & IMPERIAL TSBs Index" Page

Back