Floor Mat Recommendation - 1970 Fury

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
Hi, I looked through threads and found a few websites that say they can provide mats for a 1970 Fury 4 door, but a recommendation would be great to have some assurance that the mats fit well, side to side, etc. I see AAC, StockInteriors.com, OC Auto Carpets, etc say they have 'em, but not sure of fit. I think someone mentioned Lloyds, they sell themselves and through others like American Floor Mats, same price. I would like to each front piece reach all the way from side to side. Any recommendations?

To this date I have found no one that reproduces vinyl floor mats for vintage cars of our types. The best bet is to visit in person a salvage yard with older vehicles. Look at the full sizes car of any make for floor mats left inside. I have tried to contact current floor mat companies to be aware of the missed opportunity in making these. So far no one will listen. Weathertech even blew me off. They could make one piece front floor mat of color of choice. No logo or emblem. It could have ribbed contours on the outside edges and on each side of the trans hump. It would be for a full size car and if someone had a smaller car it could be trimmed to fit. It would also have the molded nubbies on the back. Does anyone here know of anyone at Weathertech to pass on this idea?????

I bought some carpet floor mats from Stock Interiors for my '65 Barracuda. These are ACC mats, Stock Interior is a retailer for them.

They fit well. I'm pleased with them. The drivers side could be a touch wider, but the passenger side is good.

Please ignore the dirt and hanging power cord.

n014CjN.jpg

JozYy6Z.jpg

@Pete Kaczmarski and @Big_John: Has anybody considered ordering extra material from Stock Interiors and cutting a floor mat that would run the width of the car?

@Pete Kaczmarski and @Big_John: Has anybody considered ordering extra material from Stock Interiors and cutting a floor mat that would run the width of the car?
I did think about making some floor mats, but after I buy the carpet, backing and edging, I was about the same price as buying mats that were already done. I was never looking for a carpet that went across the car though. Both my cars have consoles.

If you were really interested in doing that, here's the type of backing you could get for it. Nibbed Carpet Backing Then it would be a matter of getting some sort of edging for it. I did a quick search and found a YouTube video showing one way of doing it. That is the "time honored" way that the pros do it.

I did buy a cheap piece of black closed loop carpet on eBay for the 300's trunk though. I've always been going to have that edged or buy some of the iron on edging for it, but it's never been a priority. I've been going to try this stuff to edge it.

The other thought would be to have a home carpet installer do the edging, but I never looked too far into that.

Last edited:
Personally I hate floor mats. The problem is water gets under them, can't dry out properly and rusts out the floor pan. I rationalize it this way, brand new carpet cost couple hundred bucks and a weekend to instal. A rusted out floor pan cost big bucks, is a ***** to replace and you still need to buy a new rug. Better to just enjoy the rug.
:thumbsup:

The car in which the mat would go has Ivy Gold carpet, so without mats it would get dirty quite quickly. My thinking at this stage is to get matching new carpets and floor mats from Stock Interiors. Still, I would prefer the original OEM-style mats: @cm23uoc, thank you for the link -- I remember the same thing last year.

I wonder if you used vinyl spray dye on the clear runner how durable would that be. Then you could color match to your carpet color.

Maybe it could work on the backside, on the front it would be scratched in no time. I even think leaving it clear showing the original Color isn't a bad touch, I always liked the look of the old clear seatcovers showing the original seat pattern, sitting on them is something else though.

Back