For Sale 1978 NYB eBay

• Thread starter Deleted member 4847
  • Start date
RF3 Mint Green Metallic.

I have previously discussed this car privately with a few FCBO members. The body and interior appears to be in excellent condition from the pictures we've seen. However, this is a 1978 and the wipers don't work and the new owner will probably have to mod it to the 74-77 small cam to get them to work again. It has ATC II that doesn't work and is extremely difficult to repair. The issue with this one is more than just a Freon leak. No under hood pictures so you would need a picture of the fender tag. More than half of the 78 NY'ers came with 400's and 5% had a 360. I personally would walk away just because it is ATC II.

s-l1600.jpg

I would need a donor car with manual A/C to convert this one.

I would need a donor car with manual A/C to convert this one.
Taking apart that nightmare of an instrument panel is enough to scare me away from a conversion, regardless how desirable the car itself is.

It's very frustrating how just one very common option makes so many of these gorgeous vehicles plummet in value.

Taking apart that nightmare of an instrument panel is enough to scare me away from a conversion, regardless how desirable the car itself is.

It's very frustrating how just one very common option makes so many of these gorgeous vehicles plummet in value.

The sad part is the seller probably thinks it'll be about $100 and a few parts and it'll be as good as new!

Hearing people reject this car for broken wipers that can be fixed for $.00 makes bunny cry.
I have never seen in the five years here in FCBO anyone ever reject a Formal solely because the WW wipers didn't work.
We all know the 74-77's is an easy 30 minute commonly avail. bushing and we all know about Bob's repair procedure for the 78 bushing.
The 79 bushing you refer to in your replacement procedure isn't applicable to any of the 74-78 Formals. Different animal.
The reason people have been walking away from Formals has usually been because of the ATC II, rust, a/o hood scoops...

I have never seen in the five years here in FCBO anyone ever reject a Formal solely because the WW wipers didn't work.
We all know the 74-77's is an easy 30 minute commonly avail. bushing and we all know about Bob's repair procedure for the 78 bushing.
The 79 bushing you refer to in your replacement procedure isn't applicable to any of the 74-78 Formals. Different animal.
The reason people have been walking away from Formals has usually been because of the ATC II, rust, a/o hood scoops...

I do not know Bob or his fix.

Other than AC and wiper issues, how about the carburetor? Old cars usually have issues with their carbs especially if they sat for a long time. Carbs that old can be very tricky to maintain since parts are really hard to find.

Other than AC and wiper issues, how about the carburetor? Old cars usually have issues with their carbs especially if they sat for a long time. Carbs that old can be very tricky to maintain since parts are really hard to find.
The carb issue is a given. The ThermoQuad will be going into trash and get replaced by an Edelbrock.

Back