Formal Styling

For what it's worth, probably not much, but owning both a '77 Chrysler and a '75 Oldsmobile, the Chrysler feels much more "roomy" especially in the back seat. Front seat room is similar but the deep padding on the Olds seats takes up more room and it is fairly noticeable. I'm not a huge guy, but if I was bigger it may be more noticeable.

The Olds wins hands down for feeling "substantial" versus the Chrysler, although it's kind of apples and oranges, comparing a top model 98 to a Newport. Chrysler again gets the nod for underwood room, and ease of reaching stuff. The Chryslers 400 also feels peppier than the Olds 455, but some of that has to be attributed to the additional heft of the 98.

Handling and road feel, the Chrysler seems more nimble, but has about 0 road feel. Olds makes you know you have 2 tons of heft you're swinging around, but the steering provides at least some feedback versus the sensory deprivation tank that is Mopar. Picking either one of these for a road racing course would be like trying to pick the best double amputee for a place kicking competition though.

Both offer good seating positions and ease of reaching controls, but the Chryslers center mounted HVAC is easier to see and manipulate while driving vs the left side mounted controls on the Olds.

Oldsmobile seems to offer more usable trunk space, but the deep drop offs on the side of the formal Chrysler are actually quite handy for storage. Neither is lacking in trunk room lol.

I love both cars, but boy are they different animals, even though both are full size offerings from the same Era. I'd love to find a New Yorker to compare the Olds to sometime.

Last edited:
What strikes me is the nearly identical roof stamping and rear window of the 4 door hard tops. I've read lots of opinions on the designs of these cars and how "forgettable" they are said to be, but when you look at the cars that are built today.... excuse me the SUVs built today its no different. I'm not a brand specific guy, but I've always favored GM. However Chrysler full size cars of the 70's are the best looking hands down.

If it wasn't for the 74 Imperial, I think I would have given up on C-bodies by then because Chrysler Corp was in such a mess at that time.

What strikes me is the nearly identical roof stamping and rear window of the 4 door hard tops.

Talking about 4-door cars, the 1974 Newport and New Yorker 4-door sedans were one of the first (maybe simply the first) full-size cars with a formal roof line:

CL41M4C200280-a.jpg

Not that they're getting much love for this feature nowadays, but it was an innovative design that hinted at what was to come in the late '70s and '80s.

I'm told the rear glass on the sedan is different than the hardtops
T or F?
I'd look it up myself but all my literature was given to 1978 nyb

YEP, the roof panel, rear window, door stampings. Basically the top of the car differs from the sedan, and looks nearly identical to the Caprice hardtop.

Another look at that Dodge rear-end solution I mentioned in post #33:

1976-RoyalMonaco-rear-assembly.jpg

With the applique for the name plate added on the fuel-filler door it becomes even more obvious: this is derivative styling.

The essence of Formal Dodge styling is the tension conveyed by the sides, masterfully accomplished:

Dodeg-side-3.jpg

Dodge-side-2.jpg

Dodge-side-1.jpg

A complex interplay of volume moving inward and outward, yet at first glance not imposing itself on the beholder. It takes the correct lighting and colors to appreciate it.

Much has been said about the identical side profile of the Dodge and Plymouth Formal C-body, but at a closer look the sides are so different!

Back