Front shock install/removal

DasBoot

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Since I couldn't find a decent set of visual instructions on compressing the front shocks for install/removal, I'll show how I did mine this weekend.

Need: Bailing wire

Here is the setup I created to hold the front shock in place.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Note the simple hoop at the top. This has to be small enough to fit a pair of dykes into the shock tower hole so don't make it several strands thick, unless you have Gorilla strength hands.

Close-up of top (this has been cut, FYI).

Using an old POS bolt or all-thread (bolt preferred), the bottom end of the wire contraption fits over threads. The pressure on the shock will make the rubber compress and the bolt will up due to force of shock.

The fix for that is to get the bottom hoop on the threads (2 threads in at least), then lightly tap the threaded end so the bolt sucks in towards the shock body. This will give you that extra half-inch of compression if you need it. (I certainly did).

I had to get the wire contraption at the correct length. You can simply shorten the length by twisting the bottom hoop until your shock is compressed enough. I had to use a couple washers at the top of the shock stud ABOVE the lower rubber biscuit which helped keep the rubber from compressing which lengthened the shock. BE SURE your washers can fit thru the top shock mount as this is the only way to get them out once the wire is cut.

Having a 2nd pair of hands to put the bottom hoop around the bolt really helps. I compressed my shock upside down and let the shock top dig into a piece of 2x4 on the floor to keep it from slipping away from me.

I had to remove the shock the first time because I forgot to install the damn lower tower biscuit. I used the same wire tool thing to get it out of there. You'll have to fish it in thru the top shock mount and use a jack under the LCA to compress the shock. Oh, and be sure to remove the upper bump stop biscuit under the upper arm. Gives another inch or so. 9/16" nut.

Hope this helps!

they are a bear.. i made a similar tool when doing mine..

Changing front shocks now. Took a break to look on here to see what people did. This was going to be my next step. Zip ties not do it lol. Picked a hot *** day to do it too. Damn!!

This is what I did. Same principle with the addition of a couple of dollar store turnbuckles and two washers. Made a potentially frustrating job a piece of cake.

P1050753.JPG

Back