fuel Cell in 66 sport fury

1966 sport fury

Reaction score
I have took the stock tank to try and get it repaired but it has rotted out to far to fix. Has anybody put a fuel cell in a 66 sport fury or tried putting a tank that measures 40 1/2 long. I found one that is the same size but almost 2 inch's longer. The width and depth is the same

Check out Spectra Premium they don't list a tank for a 66 Fury but the listing for a 68 shows a tank 40 1/2" long. When I replaced the tank in our 66 New Yorker had to use one listed for a 67 was a little different but works nicely. I think you can find them listed on Rockauto also.

I've also used the 67 spectra tank in my 66 300. No issues for me, just a bit longer. Others have had problems with it.

Well after weeks of looking for a tank and talking to all the tank people on the web, I also measured for all the tanks to fit and none do. I cut the small are of rust out in the center and set the fuel cell done about 4 inch's and braced it to the rails on each side. If I ever find a tank to go back in I can because I save the straps and filler neck. This will work until I find one.

0723171109a.jpg

If you measured your tank and it was a lot different than Spectra's tank I suspect a previous owner may have put in a B-body tank. They are smaller but the same general shape and can be made to fit.

Most of these phone support people wouldn't know a Plymouth from an electric toaster so if you asked if their 67 Chrysler tank will fit a 66 the answer will be no.

Nice neat installation BTW.

I put one in my New Yorker because it was half the price of the replacement tank at the time. (Summit clearance aisle)

Kevin

If you measured your tank and it was a lot different than Spectra's tank I suspect a previous owner may have put in a B-body tank. They are smaller but the same general shape and can be made to fit.

Most of these phone support people wouldn't know a Plymouth from an electric toaster so if you asked if their 67 Chrysler tank will fit a 66 the answer will be no.

Nice neat installation BTW.

I put one in my New Yorker because it was half the price of the replacement tank at the time. (Summit clearance aisle)

Kevin
The car was bought new by my uncle then gave to my grandfather with 34,000 miles on it and it now has about 174,000. so I know the tank was original to the car. I will keep looking but it is great it is back on the road again. Thanks' for the comment on the install. Tracy

i got a tank for a 68 in my 66 sport fury and it fit. tank, sending unit, an filler neck was right at $700. AND THAT WAS 3 YRS AGO. SPECTUM MAKES ALL GAS TANKS PERIOD. THEY MIGHT HAVE DIF. BRAND NAMES ON THE BOX OR LISTING BUT SPEC. MAKES THEM ALL. SAME ON FACT RADS. TOO.

Check out Spectra Premium they don't list a tank for a 66 Fury but the listing for a 68 shows a tank 40 1/2" long. When I replaced the tank in our 66 New Yorker had to use one listed for a 67 was a little different but works nicely. I think you can find them listed on Rockauto also.
i'm trying to fit a 67 tank in my 66 polara but theres about 1/2" clearance to the diff casing...is your like this? if so any issues.

I've also used the 67 spectra tank in my 66 300. No issues for me, just a bit longer. Others have had problems with it.
i'm trying to fit a 67 tank in my 66 polara but theres about 1/2" clearance to the diff casing...is your like this? if so any issues.

It took some massaging but it fit well. I can take a pic later on tonight. I don’t know if there were any slight differences underneath between a Polara and a 300. I doubt it.

It took some massaging but it fit well. I can take a pic later on tonight. I don’t know if there were any slight differences underneath between a Polara and a 300. I doubt it.
i was going to bend the welded flange over to create more room, basically bought a new tank from canada.....will cost an arm and a leg to ship back, but felt i was too close to the diff cover for comfort. thanks for the pic and the tme youre taking. regards ian

i was going to bend the welded flange over to create more room, basically bought a new tank from canada.....will cost an arm and a leg to ship back, but felt i was too close to the diff cover for comfort. thanks for the pic and the tme youre taking. regards ian

I don't know how it could be too close to the diff if the straps were in place holding the tank.

Kevin

That's my point. If the tank is in its correct position and the axle is in its correct position, there is no way for the two of them to ever be that close.

Something else is going on here.

Kevin

That's my point. If the tank is in its correct position and the axle is in its correct position, there is no way for the two of them to ever be that close.

Something else is going on here.

Kevin
read the thread mate...we're fitting a 67 taank in a 66...the 67 tank is longer.....some have managed it....i dont like the lack of clearance......

If the 67 tank is longer, how did you get the straps around it? They should have been too short.

If the front anchor point for the straps hasn't changed, the front of the new tank can't be any closer to the diff than the old tank was.

Kevin

If the 67 tank is longer, how did you get the straps around it? They should have been too short.

If the front anchor point for the straps hasn't changed, the front of the new tank can't be any closer to the diff than the old tank was.

Kevin
the tank is closer it's two and a half inches longer.......longer bolts and straps were supplied......and the straps wrapped around the tank..if youve never done this before why the questions? i'm trying to get info from someone who's actually fitted one....as above....

Ill snap the pics tonight. Sorry for the delay, life and kids and getting the eng in the car took priority last night.

Back