Fuel pump

Reaction score
I have a 1968 fury iii 318 you can give it full throttle it will disappear fuel in the filter few mins later it will be dry as a bone the fuel filter does not keep gas in filter while on throttle but will idle with fuel on filter all day long but once you blip the throttle it’s gone could this be bad fuel pump or what any help would be great I’m still learning on the old cars I’m a newbie

Take the gas cap off and try that again. It could be that your gas tank is not vented or the vent line is plugged.

The plastic fuel filter on our '66 Newport would indicate varying amounts of fuel in it, with the engine running and running well. Not unlike what you are seeing on your car. I was told by the old-line Chrysler service manager at the local dealership (back in the late 1960s) that this was normal. As flaky as it might seem. IF the fuel filter was chromed metal, as the engines came with, we don't know what is going on inside of the filter, just that the engine runs as expected.

Choice is, as long as the engine is running fine, to not look at the clear filter or get a chromed metal one you can't see into.

Should the fuel supply should ever falter, the engine will also falter. As long as everything is running fine, no need to get excited about what you are seeing as fuel IS getting into the carb.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have a 1968 fury iii 318 you can give it full throttle it will disappear fuel in the filter few mins later it will be dry as a bone the fuel filter does not keep gas in filter while on throttle but will idle with fuel on filter all day long but once you blip the throttle it’s gone could this be bad fuel pump or what any help would be great I’m still learning on the old cars I’m a newbie
Does the engine die when this happens?

As the engine speed increases, the fuel flow increases and you may not see it sitting in the filter... As long as the engine is still running OK, I'd say there isn't a problem.

I would cringe if someone did WOT on my car while it was parked. But maybe that's just me.

Back