Fuselage Body Quality Problems from Day 1?

I'd have to say that the fact these cars have held up this long from their date of manufacture, says a lot about how GOOD the build quality was, for the most part. The fact it exists says much.

My friend Ted had a 1971 Ford LTD with the 400 V8. The car took 10 years of beating in his family. Plenty of dents, but it never rusted and always had great power off the line. That was one great car. Same as a Galaxy, except for the taillights and a few emblems.

No rust EVER? Where did they live? New Mexico? I grew up in Toronto, Canada- SERIOUS rust belt territory and the early 70's Fords were notorious for rotting earlier than the other brands. I think it was something to do with the steel they used then.

The 71/72 LTD is my favourite Ford design...I like the styling of those cars, but in my neck of the woods they didn't last and you don't see them around any more up here...the last one I saw was in Oklahoma.

Ted's Dad bought the car new and drove it to work for 5 or 6 years in Richmond Virginia. He eventually bought another car and passed the car down to Ted about 1978. Ted drove the car to school. He also drove that 71 LTD thru fields and down mud trails, following 4wd vehicles. He was crazed with that 71 Ford LTD. He got rid of it in 1981. I remember lots of dents and dings, but no rust. I also remember, if anyone thinks Chryslers from the early 70s have too much power assist, that the 71 LTD had Chrysler beat. There was no feel of the road thru the steering of that car. Supposedly, after Ted sold the LTD, the cops called Ted's family because the car had been used in a bank robbery. That part, I can't prove, but it would have been a fitting end for a notorious car.

Maybe the rust held off for 10 years because of mid Atlantic weather.

Back