Fuselage Dodge Registry interest?

yes, not the point.
I wasnt planning in changing any of mine. Just wondering what it would take to reverse his f up...while I do like the 70 as well as 71. I believe they should stay what they are. That's why my Brougham is going to stay gold and beat up for a while, until it's dialed and roadworthy, worry about paint down the road when it's time. Very convenient all my rust major repair doesn't really bother the bodys appearance.

For the more paranoid out there, the amount of personal ownership information in public areas might be of concern and affect participation. Just something I thought about as I recall in the '80s when some people were very quiet about the HEMI cars they owned, parts for them, and where it was all stored out of sight. Not sure that Fuselage C-bodies might raise have the same level of intensity, but something to consider should the question arise. Perhaps some security questions or similar to get to the owner's information?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

:thankyou: ... I never understood all that paranoia about information , VINs , license plates , names.... It is all obtainable if you really want it .

If the owner would have an issue with their VIN or fender tag being documented fully, they could always Blur out the sequence number like we have all seen done before.

It was a different world back then. When any parts in existence were "original used" or "NOS" rather than repro, which usually meant hours (and many miles to get to them) in salvage yards that nobody wanted to go down the drain with a cut lock. Some nefarious individuals will steal anything for $$$, they don't care what it is, just that it's worth money. Such public information might be "advertising" of sorts, then as now.

In the past, I accumulated stuff that I suspected I might need in the future, back in the middle '70s. At that time, there was little suspicion that it would ever become available 20 years later in repro. And now, it IS in repro, but I paid less money for the real thing, back then, if that matters.

Everybody has their own orientations on these things. Many of the databases with vehicle information might have some level of authorization, even payment with a credit card, in order to access the data and track who's been in there.

Just didn't want some issues to decrease participation.

CBODY67

Furthermore on that subject, I don't know why hiding a 70 Dodge Polara or something similar from the Mopar community would benefit anyone. I've met a ton of good people since I started with the Polaras, and gotten plenty of very excellent insight and knowledge as well as hard to find parts at more then fair prices. If more of these cars were on the grid I feel like the aftermarket my also maybe, hopefully catch on that there is a demand for parts.

I am going to look into how to make a website thesedays. Haven't done it since I was a lot younger, but should be able to figure something out. Thank you Dave for tracking convertibles and having information on 100 or more of the 842 is outstanding. Great work. I think I would simply just break it down into each model year at first to see if it attracts interest and more and more start surfacing, from there it could be broken down by sub model, Convertibles, Wagons, Sedans, 2 and 4 Door Hardtops and different trim levels but we would need enough information to take it that far. 69-73 Polara/Monaco Registry doesn't sound half bad...

I am going to look into how to make a website thesedays. Haven't done it since I was a lot younger, but should be able to figure something out. Thank you Dave for tracking convertibles and having information on 100 or more of the 842 is outstanding. Great work. I think I would simply just break it down into each model year at first to see if it attracts interest and more and more start surfacing, from there it could be broken down by sub model, Convertibles, Wagons, Sedans, 2 and 4 Door Hardtops and different trim levels but we would need enough information to take it that far. 69-73 Polara/Monaco Registry doesn't sound half bad...

:poke::poke::poke: I cant provoke you enough ..... DO IT!!

For the more paranoid out there, the amount of personal ownership information in public areas might be of concern and affect participation. (...)
CBODY67

I'd like a registry that gives information on the cars, but not on their owners -- unless the latter want to provide it.

Last edited:
I'd like a registry that gives information on the cars, but not on their owners -- unless the latter want to provide it.
I agree. If they don't want their personal information public that's completely understandable. I just want to document the cars existence and report if its still rolling or if it is deceased. Got some new information on the fuselage quality thread with some production numbers I had inquired about. Seems like Newark and Windsor built cars are going to be the least common for the Dodges. This may be common knowledge already but I was always curious how production was split. According to this, in 71 out of the 97,000 built Belvidere made the majority. Making my 71 Base model car 1 of 6000 or so built at another plant. Very intriguing...

1965-1978 Belvidere C Body - A.JPG

Windsor didn't build 1971 C bodies. I believe they stopped early in the 1970 production run.

Very few built at Newark comparing to Belvidere

I was determined years ago to start a website for the Dodge fuselage cars but I am just not smart enough or tech savvy enough to figure it all out ....
I'm still working on it. I gotta try to get a laptop or desktop computer set up in the house...I only use my phone anymore.

48962B3A-2333-40AF-A844-DE61918D4C02.jpeg
BE840F1F-0E84-4D3B-865F-6B424A013034.jpeg
Windsor didn't build 1971 C bodies. I believe they stopped early in the 1970 production run.

Very few built at Newark comparing to Belvidere

Wndsor shut down C body production in Nov ‘69 (1970 MY)
Relative comparison between output at Belvedere and Newark.

71Polara383 - Check out www.moparsunroofregistry.com sometime. I set up this registry through Wordpress and it was very easy, and I have no issues updating it. Very affordable - under $40 per year for the domain name and hosting. Very happy with how easy it is to maintain. It also has a lot of cool web stats that show you how many times the website is being viewed, what country its being viewed from, etc.

For CBODY67 - I have all the cars posted to the website for everyone to check out - but no personal information or locations of vehicles are available. That stuff is usually for the eyes of the person that is running the registry only unless the owner is ok with having it on the web. If someone wants to know more about the vehicle or owner, the registry owner usually contacts the owner and lets them know that someone would like to contact them about their vehicle. Then its up to the owner to make contact with the requester if he wants. You have to include the confidentiality with the registry in order to get the best participation.

In the '70 MY, I'm wondered if the 383 "N" was a mid-year introduction/availability situation. My car was built in March, yet the owners manual only mentions the 383 2bbl and two 440s as being available. Similar with the one '70 Monaco sales brochure I know about. But it's in the '70 Dodge C-body FSM. Seems like the '70 printing parts book is kind of elusive about that engine option, in some cases, as I recall from earlier times?

In some respects, my DH43 kind of bridges the gap between a "Plymouth" and a "Chrysler" as it's more of the size of a Plymouth, but has many luxury options more associated with New Yorkers. Power split bench seat w/rh recliner, power windows, power locks, etc. With the "more intimate" rear seat due to the formal roof line. Can't forget "magazine pockets" on the backs of the front seat! Manual a/c, Tilt steering column, cruise control, the (upscale?) Rim Blow steering wheel. The seldom-seen factory W23 Class II 16-slot road wheels, at least on the earlier models (until they came to be "prime time" in '74). "Chrysler" luxury without the "bulk", so to speak. And, of course, the 383 "N", TF, and 3.23 gears! I added a '70 AM/FM-Multiplex and 4 factory speakers (using the center speaker that was already there) in '77 or so . . . all NEW from the local Chrysler dealer, at a time when it was suspected it'd all be NS1. I had to build the front-to-rear harness for the rear speakers, as that was the only item NS1 at that time.

In earlier times, I liked the '70 300 more, but we has a very weak Dodge franchise in town, so not many Dodges. Many more Plymouths. But there were some very spiffy Dodge Cs in that time, too! So, as the data decal on the door has a build date of "03-70" on it, it would have been built in the month which would have coincided with delivery in May, or my high school graduation. Not the desired 300, but a desired substitute, IF that scenario had played out, back then.

After I got the car in '75, I'd not seen any other DH cars. Mine has the vinyl interior and roof. I finally happened upon one in North Dallas (where I was working back then) that had the cloth interior. "Whorehouse brocade" as I termed it. I was glad mine was what it was. Darker green as mine is the medium green, exterior, with the same dark green interior color. Nile Green, I believe?

I didn't see another DH car until in the '90s. I was at Mopar Nats and a '70 DH 2-dr ht drove in. Same color as mine, but a 383 2bbl car with few options from NY. The guy, his wife, and baby were making their first trip to the Nats in that car. I found a set of backup light body castings up there one year, too, from a Chicago-area dealer that was selling their obsolete parts. The only DH-specific items I'd seen up there! So they found a place in my suitcase for the trip back to TX.

Seems like the "Standard Book of Chrysler" shows '70 Monaco production at just over 20K units? Separate out the DH cars, the 383 "N", the Brougham Package, and W23 Class II 16-slot wheels, and the numbers of that combination should get pretty low, I suspect. After I saw the generally low DH production numbers, I wondered how I managed to happen upon it? Which is why I still have it, albeit in a "survivor" condition from its prior "nice used car" condition. As bad as it looks, and the areas that need attention on the body, some paint and other things would make it look much better. Still has the OEM powertrain with about 160k miles on it. When I last drove it, that 383 "N" didn't hesitate to spin the speedo needle toward the triple-digits at part throttle. Those lovely engine sounds and the way the shift points all made it happen so easy! One of these days . . . it'll be baack.

Somewhere in the middle '70s, after the Cordoba/Charger SE was around, seems like the magazine road tester dubbed the X/S car being tested "Executive Express". B-engine, leather, stereo, etc. That would fit my DH43 perfectly! Which, I guess, would be where the DH43 would fit best . . . kind of in "full-sized Buick" territory, of a successful upwardly-mobile middle class person. A nice car without the ostentatiousness of a "higher-priced" nameplate. With a little more credibility to the "luxury" orientation as it was closer in the model hierarchy to Chrysler than Plymouth was.

To me, respectfully, the earlier Plymouth VIP was more "pretender" than the later Fury Gran Coupe (Fuselage) cars were, when luxury was more designed-in than added-on. In comparison, the 1965 Chevy Caprice and Ford Galaxie LTD did it better, from what I could tell, back then. Cadillac HATED those '65-'73Caprices! The LTD probably didn't do Mercury any favors, either, but Mercury had always had a different customer than Ford did anyway.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
Just being an N code drops the production number significantly. No way to prove it but I'd bet to 5 % . Most thought the 4 barrel 383 was a waste, why not just go for the 440. Driving mine I can see why, it's a great drivetrain, so much better than the L code.

Of the 842 Polara convertibles built in 70 , 19 had the N. It is a very elusive engine in our Cs.

I always liked the 383 more than a 440, for some reason. But they won't have the off-idle torque of a 440. TX used 383s in their highway patrol cars, except in '68 when they went to 440s. Went back to 383/400s after that. Their Fords had 390s, back then. Most consumers were in a 3-year trade cycle, so if the 440 was too thirsty, with the reasonably good economy, they could have fun for three years and then do something else, with the 440s.

I heard stories of departments getting 440s, rather than 383/400s, in the '70s. Many were wrecked as the officers didn't know how to drive them in non-straight line pursuits. There was one chase in Lubbock, in '74, where they wrecked several PD cars in a country chase. One year they did 440s, possibly due to perceived power losses due to emissions controls. Sometimes, more power can cost more than gasoline! Those cars DID run, though.

Take care,
CBODY67

Just being an N code drops the production number significantly. No way to prove it but I'd bet to 5 % .

Of the 842 Polara convertibles built in 70 , 19 had the N. It is a very elusive engine in our Cs.

I figured it might be a "5% car" for the wheels alone, with a little higher percentage for the engine and Brougham Option, with the Brougham Option being the most prevalent of the three.

Who would've thought that "low percentage" things could apply to Chrysler products other than B/E-bodies? Many hiding in "plain sight"?

CBODY67

Please keep in mind that 5% is just a guess. I have no way of knowing until Kevin or Bill come up with numbers and I havent seen either of those two in quite a while.
The one ofs's usually do not amount to much in the C body world, as you know. If they did I'd have had some pretty scarce stuff. Its nice to think about but then I go down the thought road of "what was the original buyer thinking"? OR "Why the Hell would they order this and not that"?

Back