Fuselage front suspension rebuild

Lots to research. This is a great forum. Thank you all. I will report back once I have done some diagnostics!

Ok so here is the question do I get a 73 mopar metering valve replacement or an adjustable wilwood metering valve replacement. Looks like they both are about $100 w/ free shipping. I have not used many wilwood parts, but figured the wilwood product would have some adjustability if I was unhappy with the front to rear distribution. Thoughts? Also not wanting to have to muck about and twist all the lines I currently have into a bunch of abnormal positions.
image.png
image.png

Ok so here is the question do I get a 73 mopar metering valve replacement or an adjustable wilwood metering valve replacement. Looks like they both are about $100 w/ free shipping. I have not used many wilwood parts, but figured the wilwood product would have some adjustability if I was unhappy with the front to rear distribution. Thoughts? Also not wanting to have to muck about and twist all the lines I currently have into a bunch of abnormal positions. View attachment 73917View attachment 73918

Of the two I would get the Wilwood because it has the adjustable valve incorporated for the rear. Kill two birds with one stone for the same price - that's my opinion.

I agree with SF-66TC get the wildwood, I didn't know they made a valve like that I thought it was rear only.

Dang. I got in a hurry and ordered the stock one. We will see How it goes. I'll keep y'all up to date.

Ok here is an update:
Finally found the time to plumb in a wilwood metering block with built in proportioning valve. In doing so many of the old brake line fittings were shot so I ended up making all new 3/16 steel brake lines front and rear and located the proportioning valve near the MC.

Flushed clean DOT3 brake fluid through the lines and bled the brakes, get a very firm pedal.

Took the car out with the rear proportion dialed all the back ( least possible rear brake assistance) and car has very little stopping power up front. Dialed up proportion valve and still very weak stopping power ( worse then when I had drums).
So the only thing not replaced and that is unknown is the brake booster and master cylinder.

1) could it be the MC has the rubber grommet used for drums and it need to be removed?

2) could be wrong MC all together?

3) should I replace the booster? It seems to be working fine.

4) any other possible reasons the brakes would not be working other than MC?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ok here is an update:
Finally found the time to plumb in a wilwood metering block with built in proportioning valve. In doing so many of the old brake line fittings were shot so I ended up making all new 3/16 steel brake lines front and rear and located the proportioning valve near the MC.

Flushed clean DOT3 brake fluid through the lines and bled the brakes, get a very firm pedal.

Took the car out with the rear proportion dialed all the back ( least possible rear brake assistance) and car has very little stopping power up front. Dialed up proportion valve and still very weak stopping power ( worse then when I had drums).
So the only thing not replaced and that is unknown is the brake booster and master cylinder.

1) could it be the MC has the rubber grommet used for drums and it need to be removed?

2) could be wrong MC all together?

3) should I replace the booster? It seems to be working fine.

4) any other possible reasons the brakes would not be working other than MC?

View attachment 77587 View attachment 77588
The RUBBER GROMMET is ONLY for cars with MANUAL Brakes.
Are the rear drum brakes adjusted?

I have not adjusted them ... So I would say no. I did not change pads or wheel cylinders they were all functioning well and looked good on inspection.

I have not adjusted them ... So I would say no. I did not change pads or wheel cylinders they were all functioning well and looked good on inspection.
Double check and adjust the rears you might be surprised. I'm suggesting because I overlooked this when I did my front disc conversion - I assumed they were fine only to realize the were in need of adjustment. When I did, much improvement.

Last edited:
Pedal remains firm. Does not sink at all. The front brakes never lock up, they stop but it is not an abrupt stop, even if just rolling forward slowly. I plan to try an adjust the rear brakes, but after that I don't know....mc....brake booster?

I think the adjusto rod is not engaged far enough, the plunger, the piston. you may have said it already and I forgot the answer, but this was power drum brakes car correct?

this new MC bore is 1 1/32 ?

So I need to replace the MC or just the rod? Do they come in a kit together? Yes car was power drum before

hey please 6lb 8oz baby jesus tell us we didnt leave this hanging for over a year. wheres pmschmitt? no brakes? cant stop? been driving this whole time ?

Back