Gas Tank Sending Unit

Yes, I haven't replied to this though I intended to. I actually reused the original lockring in the first place as I didn't trust the quality of the new one. I didn't mic it or anything so it was just a gut decision but I'll take a little time while it's out and pay closer attention to which seats best.

FWIW, I put the rear wheels on ramps which gave enough access to the sending unit for removal to replace a bad float.

I used the new gasket and original locking ring with good results on another Newp when installing a new sender, meaning no leaking.

Hope the input helps.

John

Well there you go, that is the right tool for the job and I can understand that it would do the best job, however if you're using it on a new lockring and gasket, it will still leak. .

You obviously didn't read what I posted in post #18, or your comprehension is worth squat. Go read it again!

Welp, she ain't out yet. Took me a good few hours yesterday to drain it down to a little under 1/4 tank and find different vehicles to stuff the gas into when I noticed my diff is leaking severely. "One thing leads to another" as The Fixx famously said.

Then the pool dropped and inch in 24 hours... yes, we "fixed" the pool.

So yea, that's a wrap for the weekend.
I'm gonna have a few beers, swim in the dwindling pool water and ponder life's obstacles.

You obviously didn't read what I posted in post #18, or your comprehension is worth squat. Go read it again!

I assume you're regarding sandwiching two gaskets together? Not a wise practice. And not alot to comprehend. Maybe I'm just one of "you people". I have no problem comprehending your condescending and arrogant attitude though. Perhaps you can find the proper tool to fix that on Ebay? All the best.

Glad I dropped the tank cuz, uh... somethin ain't right der:
IMG_3206.JPG

If you haven’t found a different gasket or lock ring yet I see DMT says that they have the original thickness and material sending unit gasket made in house. Also say they have a locking ring that is a little thicker than the original.

If you haven’t found a different gasket or lock ring yet I see DMT says that they have the original thickness and material sending unit gasket made in house. Also say they have a locking ring that is a little thicker than the original.
I haven't found anything yet but thanks for the tip! I'm gonna go through and order all of it; tank, straps, lugs, sending unit (and parts) and all new line. I figure I'll be able to use them when I do restore the whole car anyway so might as well be thorough now.

I assume you're regarding sandwiching two gaskets together? Not a wise practice. And not alot to comprehend. Maybe I'm just one of "you people". I have no problem comprehending your condescending and arrogant attitude though. Perhaps you can find the proper tool to fix that on Ebay? All the best.

I've had that tool for a very long time now, thank you! You do what you do, and I'll do what I do! I did what I had to do to get it to stop leaking. Seems you have a problem with that, you got any better ideas? I'm listening.

Your just missing the sock. That's a pretty clean lookin sending unit you got there
It's basically brand new, can't figure out why the sock dropped off. Problem is more that I kind of skimped when I did the system last time. I didn't have the scratch to replace the tank so I boiled the old one, replaced the sending unit and filler grommet and put it back together. The sediment in the tank this go around was almost as bad as the last... so now, new tank, sender, seal and retaining ring (and correct tool), filler grommet, insulation and straps. I wanted to wait to do a full restore but, screw it. The less I have to drop that tank, the happier I'll be.

Are you sure the sock was there in the first place ? Many new repop sending units don't come with one and the socks, when they do exist, don't come off none too easily.

If I remember right? The sox should kinda be a snug fit as you push it on the unit. So it must be sittin in the bottom of the tank if your sure there was one at one time.

Are you sure the sock was there in the first place ? Many new repop sending units don't come with one and the socks, when they do exist, don't come off none too easily.
There was, fished it out of the tank.

If I remember right? The sox should kinda be a snug fit as you push it on the unit. So it must be sittin in the bottom of the tank if your sure there was one at one time.
Yes. It just kinda slides on and off. Something wasn't right about that part of the unit.

I've had that tool for a very long time now, thank you! You do what you do, and I'll do what I do! I did what I had to do to get it to stop leaking. Seems you have a problem with that, you got any better ideas? I'm listening.

No problems here. Get/make one the correct thickness.

Done rite. New tank, sending unit, seals, lock ring, lines straps and J bolts.

She's in with about an 8th of a tank. Used the DMT ring and gasket per @HWYCRZR and the installation tool per @stubs300. Made the insulation mat out of rubber door mat material per @commando1. All seems well. I'll take her and fill her up tomorrow AM.

Thanks for the help, guys.

IMG_3214.JPG

Back