Gas Tank Vent

Chris N

Reaction score
My 71 Fury's gas tank is no longer venting. If it's hot out, the car will have trouble running as pressure builds up in the tank. When I release the cap, all that pressure shoots out and I can hear the tank expand back to normal. If the car sits for a long length of time, pressure also will build up. So once a week I release the cap to let the pressure out. I tried a new cap and still have the problem. The tank is original. Any ideas what it can be or should I look into replacing the tank? Thanks

I suggest you download a copy of the FSM for your car and read up on how the tank is vented with the Vapor Saver System and find whatever is plugged. Get both the body and chassis manuals.

Service Manuals – MyMopar

Gas tank FSM.jpg

I think the vapor separator is MIA on my car. IOW, I imagine yours can be detached for clean out.

My 71 Fury's gas tank is no longer venting. If it's hot out, the car will have trouble running as pressure builds up in the tank. When I release the cap, all that pressure shoots out and I can hear the tank expand back to normal. If the car sits for a long length of time, pressure also will build up. So once a week I release the cap to let the pressure out. I tried a new cap and still have the problem. The tank is original. Any ideas what it can be or should I look into replacing the tank? Thanks
My 71 Fury seems to vent pressure when releasing the cap to add gas in warmer weather but no running issues. I know that our cars have a 4 vent tank and the rudimentary fuel vapor emissions system. I wondered about a vented cap too. I'm curious as to what suggestions come up in this thread.

I run a vented cap with a microfiber cloth rolled up like a sausage shoved into the filler neck then the vented cap this stops fuel splashing around the licence plate under hard launches...I run a FAST Ezi EFI 2.0 system also and this effected by doing this.

So I found that one of the vent lines from the tank on my car was kinked at 180 degrees preventing it from releasing any pressure. The one from the passenger side engine valve cover to the tank was the culprit. Got that fixed and today after driving I checked the gas cap and no pressure build up. It's cool out today so I'll see how it behaves in warmer weather later. Good luck tracing your similar issue.

I am in the process of restoring the fuel system on my '71 Fury. My car had the problem of when it got hot, it wouldn't restart. Fuel delivery issue, tank not venting. In the process of dealing with the vapor separator tank, i noticed it was very rusty inside. I cut open the back of the tank and cleaned the 4 gas tank connecting tubes. the 5th tube with the 90 degree bend, it goes to the crankcase breather on the passenger side valve cover. It has a small orifice inside. I tried to blow it out with 90psi from my blow gun. Totally clogged with rust (explains the fuel delivery issue i was having.) Removed the tube from the tank with a torch, Ran the smallest drill bit i could find through the orifice. Blew through it with compressed air. Good to go. Soldered it back in. Used the POR 15 fuel tank sealer kit. Dunked the entire vapor tank in the metal prep, then once rinsed and totally dry, used a very small funnel, ran the sealer through each tube, then poured some in the tank itself. After it cured for 4 days, i soldered on a new sheet metal patch on the back. The POR 15 sealer worked well, as there were no leaks. Rechecked all 5 tubes including the orifice tube with compressed air, all clear. Now when i do final assembly of the new gas tank, sender, and lines, the vapor system should function correctly.
To recap, check that orifice tube if your tank is not venting.
Hope this helps!

Back