Get a New Wiring Harness or use the old??

Camshaft

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Question #1 - Getting close to the end on finishing the 67 300 drop top. As some of you know from my past posts, had an engine compartment fire many years ago, burnt right thru the firewall. In my unpacking of the many totes full of stuff in my garage, I found (trumpets blare!) a complete harness from a 67 300 ragtop which I bought from Wildcat about 15 years ago! Did not even remember ordering it. Even has the wiper motor motor attached for the princely sum of $35.00! This harness is as good as I have seen, still has the original cloth wrapping etc. Being an electrical idiot, and having priced out a new custom built one (ouch!), one wonders whether to use it or not?
Question #2 - The car is pretty much done, have to do the engine compartment wiring and have some glitches fixed behind the dash. My wiring guy, (a 40 year mopar veteran, engine builder, great friend) is down for the count with some health issues. (No not that). In the meantime, I would love to run the convertible up and down to see if any problems, so that i can address those prior to reinstalling the rear seats etc. The question is, how do I power it up? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Cam Shaft

The convertible top switch reverses the polarity of the power going to the pump located under the rear seat. This causes the pump motor to reverse direction and either raise or lower the top mechanism by changing the flow of the hydraulic fluid. Most of the Mopar convertibles of that era had a circuit breaker behind the kick panel on the driver side. If all you want to do is cycle the top, hook a hot lead to the power side of the breaker and the top should cycle with the switch. Key does not need to be on to preform this operation.

Dave

I would go through the used harness inspect it for any broken wires/connections.
Using a multimeter do continuity test on each and every circuit.
I usually open up the harness and re-wrap with new cloth tape once it passes testing.
Go with Dave's suggestion to hotwire the top.
I would go 1 further since it piggy backs on the ammeter gauge. I would direct feed the circuit breaker with a fuse from the battery stud on starter relay .
Did that on a 68 Dart convertible.
Hope this helps.

Since the harness you ordered from wildcat is in such nice condition, I would put it back in a 67 where it belongs. If you have concerns, you can check wires for brittleness and cracking, by seeing how they bend and whether they feel flexible. Also, a good idea to check connectors for blackness as evidence of burning (replace the wire or connector) or green corrosion (sand paper).

All advice in 2 posts above is good advice.

Back