Getting the old girl started

dammstrate

Reaction score
1965 426 Sport Fury. Started/drove it every few weeks until about this time last summer when I parked it in the garage for a full interior re-do. Actually started it occasionally through the winter, although didn't drive it. It has sat off since about March, made sure there was a full tank of gas. Interior is pretty much finished, charged the battery today, turns over fine, just won't fire. Worried if I crank too long, the starter motor will fry. Thoughts?

One of the things we see a lot of with oxygenated fuel is corroded fuel pumps. If this type of fuel is allowed to evaporate, it leaves behind either a brown or white residue that is corrosive to most metal parts and it does a number on fuel pumps. The after market ones that are made in China are especially vulnerable as they are not anodized or otherwise coated to protect the pot-metal parts. This usually causes the internal check valve in the pump to go south and the pump is rendered useless.

Try putting a small amount of fuel down the carb throat. Be sure to put the air cleaner back on before trying to start the engine. If it fires and runs briefly, you have a fuel delivery problem.

If the engine still fails to fire, you have a spark problem, check your points, they are probably corroded from sitting. You will need to clean or replace the points.

Dave

Like was said above, basics, spark and fuel. We could help more if we see some pic's of the car:D

Like was said above, basics, spark and fuel. We could help more if we see some pic's of the car:D

Thanks guys. Cleaned the points and cap terminals (they were pretty corroded), threw some gas down the carb, and about 10 seconds later it started.
20140810_140218.jpg

:wideyed: Sharp car, one of the most desirable as far a 65 Sport Fury's go. Just don't tell me it's a 4-speed.

:wideyed: Sharp car, one of the most desirable as far a 65 Sport Fury's go. Just don't tell me it's a 4-speed.
Yep, 4 speed. Has original block still, but Edelbrock heads and intake and carb. PS and PB. I don't know the rear end, but it hums at about 3200 rpm at 60mph. Was a magazine article car back in 2000. Has been sitting for a while when I got it 2015. Slowly freshening it up, interior this summer. Over the winter going to get the engine re-done, it sounds like it has solid lifters, but it doesn't. The guys at Sharadon Performance in Hugo, MN, think it has the wrong size rings in it and the pistons are flopping around. That can't be good....

Yep, 4 speed. Has original block still, but Edelbrock heads and intake and carb. PS and PB. I don't know the rear end, but it hums at about 3200 rpm at 60mph. Was a magazine article car back in 2000. Has been sitting for a while when I got it 2015. Slowly freshening it up, interior this summer. Over the winter going to get the engine re-done, it sounds like it has solid lifters, but it doesn't. The guys at Sharadon Performance in Hugo, MN, think it has the wrong size rings in it and the pistons are flopping around. That can't be good....
I bet the rear diff has 3.91's in it, as far as the engine noise does it get better when the engine is warm? Forged pistons tend to make some noise.

I bet the rear diff has 3.91's in it, as far as the engine noise does it get better when the engine is warm? Forged pistons tend to make some noise.
Yep, will be at Mopars in the Park next year, for sure. Engine sounds better when warm, but still a lot of clattering. Interior pics coming when I get the other front seat installed (need some special square bolts fabricated).

Back