Glass Removal was a SUCCESS! ‘68 New Yorker

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A follow up of my last post, I was worried sick about this day. Apex Auto Glass out of Santa Maria came and took care of my glass removal. They came and had a hard time removing the trim as it was basically fused on in some parts!! They were even scared at times because of the pressure they needed to free the glass from the rotted out framing. Here are the end results …

9CA102F0-53C1-4455-9A1D-EAD5C6152113.jpeg

This is the rear glass as you may be able to tell. It DID start to flake off a tiny bit from the bottom… I’m not sure if this is a bad thing? There are no visible cracks in the tempered glass. It’s more like a few shards fell out, likely from them pulling at it from the bottom with a tool to lift it? I was able to move it, handle it and wrap it up without it breaking so I’m thinking it’s still a good unit!

C9E8DE35-C37E-4146-BE55-7E5316934A8E.jpeg

the front windshield and back glass waiting to be wrapped up.

Now here’s the real kicker… a LOT of body work is needed to get this car structurally sound once again…

1AC54AB5-BF4E-4493-9504-962B74AB21DF.jpeg

AD00D355-7927-4176-8337-39B06CAC1A10.jpeg

C69C6D6C-E167-4FAC-8137-6A4815C0386B.jpeg

Front isn’t so bad! Will be gutting the inside completely and dropping the steering column so I can unbolt the dash and do a restoration on that too. Currently Redline Gauge Works is restoring the gauge cluster and I have collected all NOS or Minty dashboard switches. I just need a new HVAC unit and radio. Also need to have my dash pad re-covered.

5405AFA1-C8D9-4562-B2CC-7A4D557E39AA.jpeg

Won’t be so long till this girl hits the road again :)

Good to hear both came out in one piece. I might have to look into Apex....

'55 or '56 Olds parked next to?

Definitely look into them! The car is in Nipomo and they were able to come in the afternoon. I know they service SLO too. Also, GOOD eye! You are correct. It is my friend's wife's high school car! She drove it during her HS years in the early 2000s. It is a '56 4 door. Sadly weather has gotten to it and has really made the car too far gone. They are however going to remove the drive train from the 56 and move it to a SOLID 2 door 1953 Olds 98! Very excited to see that car out one day.

A follow up of my last post, I was worried sick about this day. Apex Auto Glass out of Santa Maria came and took care of my glass removal. They came and had a hard time removing the trim as it was basically fused on in some parts!! They were even scared at times because of the pressure they needed to free the glass from the rotted out framing. Here are the end results …

View attachment 483568
This is the rear glass as you may be able to tell. It DID start to flake off a tiny bit from the bottom… I’m not sure if this is a bad thing? There are no visible cracks in the tempered glass. It’s more like a few shards fell out, likely from them pulling at it from the bottom with a tool to lift it? I was able to move it, handle it and wrap it up without it breaking so I’m thinking it’s still a good unit!

View attachment 483569

the front windshield and back glass waiting to be wrapped up.

Now here’s the real kicker… a LOT of body work is needed to get this car structurally sound once again…

View attachment 483571
View attachment 483570
View attachment 483572

Front isn’t so bad! Will be gutting the inside completely and dropping the steering column so I can unbolt the dash and do a restoration on that too. Currently Redline Gauge Works is restoring the gauge cluster and I have collected all NOS or Minty dashboard switches. I just need a new HVAC unit and radio. Also need to have my dash pad re-covered.

View attachment 483573

Won’t be so long till this girl hits the road again :)
Try Frank Parks for parts that you are looking for.

Glad to hear that your glass survived the removal process. :thumbsup:

That rust around the rear window is not uncommon on the fast tops.

Here's a video that may help prepare you for the job.

Here are some shots of an intact channel. One difference is that you don't want the drain hole like this one has. This is a 1967 and it has drain tubes under the rear grill that dump the water under the car. That was eliminated in '68.

DSC03747.JPG

DSC03746.JPG

DSC03751.JPG

Jeff

Those guys did a great job getting the glass out.

I wouldn't worry about the shards.

Just a note...

All old glass will start to laminate around the edges. I'm sure your glass will outlive you!

Without the drain holes, water will "puddle" and eventually result in rust. The noted '67 drain holes go into the flow-thru vent mechanism, which has TWO radiator-hose-sized hoses which dump water to the rear axle area under the car. As long as those two hoses are intact, no leaks into the trunk.

Once you get the bottom and side body areas cleaned and repainted (if needed), once the glass is installed and such, you might also put a thin coat of the windshield sealer on the exposed painted areas, probably also going upward on the sides for about 6 inches or so, too, to help seal the area better than the paint might, for a long-term situation. All of this should be hidden by the installed moldings around the glass. Just don't hide the nibs the moldiong clips slide over!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back